1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the perfect burger

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, May 12, 2012.

1. OK, I'll admit watching man vs food!
    Every time I accidentally stumble across it the host eats burgers. I can't help it, eventually even those weirdly flat, soft American 'patties' look good.
    I have had a yearning for a really good burger for weeks now! So I have started cogitating but I can't find any defintive recipe. Every chef has their own take, I need opinions and ideas from people I trust (that's all of you, by the way).
    When we bought the Chef I added a meat grinder, just for this, that's how sad I am! So, what, in your opinion, makes the perfect burger? From meat to bready bit..... including any spready bit... how do you make yours?

2. OK, I'll admit watching man vs food!
    Every time I accidentally stumble across it the host eats burgers. I can't help it, eventually even those weirdly flat, soft American 'patties' look good.
    I have had a yearning for a really good burger for weeks now! So I have started cogitating but I can't find any defintive recipe. Every chef has their own take, I need opinions and ideas from people I trust (that's all of you, by the way).
    When we bought the Chef I added a meat grinder, just for this, that's how sad I am! So, what, in your opinion, makes the perfect burger? From meat to bready bit..... including any spready bit... how do you make yours?

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Good beef with 20% fat to keep it moist and flavoured. Mixed with grated onion, a tiny bit of curry paste (seasons rather than tastes like curry) and a shake of worcester sauce, seasoned well and bound with an egg. Shaped and chilled to firm up a bit. Cooked on the BBQ for preference. Served in a fresh cholla roll, I like the slightly sweet contrast to the savoury meat. I add a spoon of mushrooms cooked in a little butter with garlic, allowed to cool and mixed with mayonnaise. I also at times add cheese and ketchup, according to mood.

4. Thanks!
    I should add that bbq is the only we way cook meat that isn't roasted or sloco'd. It lives in a shed and Climber uses it when he is home (I am veggie when he isn't).
    Cholla rolls? Might try making some next weekend then [​IMG]

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like just salt in my burger. A little fat does enough binding. 15% mince, pounded together well to bind it all and then fried in a tiny amount of fat or grilled. Lovely. The best quality meat needs nothing in the way of flavourings.

6. See nick, that is what I was thinking! A great plain burger, moist and delicious all on its own!
    I have notions about flavouring, that blue cheese and chicken butty got me thinking, but I really want to be able to make the perfect plain burger as a base for any experimenting I may go onto!

Butcher's best and a pinch pounded into submission - on a bbq near me next weekend!

7. I blogged about burgers recently and posted 2 recipes, both of which tasted delicious :) Feel free to try them!

http://amateurfoodramblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/my-big-fat-ode-to-burgers/

8. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Heston showed how to make tender burgers using a meat mincer. He minced the beef and laid the strands of mince parallel, then rolled it all up in clingfilm tightly and chilled. After chilling, he sliced along the sausage-shaped clingfilmed beef. By cutting across the 'grain', the burger looked beautifully tender and melt-in-the-mouth.
    You might find a link if you do a search online?

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

FrauSue put a recipe on "recipes for dozymare"

10. Oooh! I saw the Heston!

Might give that a whirl as well!

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I make tikki kebabs like burgers

• Minced lamb (I like it lean leg mince, but it's traditional to do it with more fatty back)
    • garam masala
    • an egg
    • finely chopped, fried onion (with/without grated fresh ginger)
    • splash chilli sauce
    variations: dried/fresh mint
    dried/fresh fine herbes
    half a crumbled veggy stock cube
    breadcrumbs
    shape them into patties and cook in shallow pan with a half mug of water (no oil). Cook slowly and turn over. Allow water to reduce once they are cooked through, and brown the kebabs in the dry pan to finish.
    Serve with lemon slices, pitta breads or roti (chapatti), green salad, pickle, raita etc
    Or these are nice in a chilli-peanut satay sauce served on top of a mound of white basmati
    (sauce: tinned tomato/passata, few shakes soy sauce, shake of chilli sauce, half pack creamed coconut, half small jar peanut butter and chopped coriander leaf)

12. If I may intrude, I wanted to share our recipe. We use turkey mince with finely chopped chilli and - I know this is odd but it works - caraway seeds. The chilli and caraway take the blandness from the turkey, and it is very low fat.

13. Mmmmm!
    Low fat turkey burger is probably about as far away from the juicy, dripping big beefy one I was thinking about!
    BUT now I am considering the salad that would go with a turkey burger..... I think that may be the next one on the list. Thanks, ven_dredi [​IMG]

This weekend we are having an indoor picnic with lots of loud music and tomorrow a carbonnade beef... it is just too cold and dull to enjoy a burger!
    Fingers crossed for the weather!