1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the move...

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by oliviacastree, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Hellooo,

I'm currently coming to the end of my Primary PGCE studying in Manchester England. My partner is from Cardiff and I will be making the move to South Wales in July (so excited). My only worry is the struggle to get a job in Wales that will take me for my NQT year and beyond. I have been applying but there doesn't seem much about and have so far been unsuccessful.

I understand the curriculum is slightly different and that it is desirable to speak some welsh, and have therefore been in contact with welsh for adults courses.

I was just wanting some advice from anyone that had maybe made the move or has any advice on gaining my first teaching position.

:) thank you.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Cardiff is a lovely city to live in? so a wise choice of place to settle!

Having said that, jobs are severely scarce. I have an NQT friend who has been on supply for 3 years now despite trying her best to secure something permanently. I suppose the upshot, and perhaps the best way in, is that if you are flexible, willing to travel about, you would be wise to join some of the supply agencies that serve your area. Quite a few folk seem to end up in permanent jobs having started out as supply.

As for the Welsh language - All teachers are required to demonstrate some ability and willingness to teach Welsh as a second language and use it in daily conversing around school. Doing a Welsh for adults course sounds a really positive way to show schools you are willing? There are also some excellent websites that coach you and aid developing some language skills - try siaradcymraeg.com and google for others :)

I hope that helps? and indeed, best of luck with the move!