1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the move to primary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by emmac86, Jan 4, 2019.

1. emmac86

emmac86 New commenter

When I first considered going into teaching I wanted to do primary. However, with a 2:2, little primary experience and an English degree the teaching council constantly recommended secondary. I ended up in secondary, teaching English and Drama.

I’m now 7 years down the line and wanting to move into primary. I’m under no illusion about the amount of work involved, however the idea of using my current skills and having more breadth really excites me.

I would be happy to still teach KS3 but really want to make the move to primary. I already have qts but obviously not the relevant experience necessary for a role in primary.

Does anyone have any advice how to make this move or if it is even possible?

Thanks

2. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Of course it is possible and several have done so by various means. My wife taught in a senior high school (13-18) for six years before leaving to have two children. The local primary school had a long term illness to cover and she went in on supply for two days a week. This eventually led to part-time contract that could have been made a permanent full-time contract if she had wanted.

Lara mfl 05 and emmac86 like this.
  3. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi. I know of some teachers who are secondary trained but now teach primary children. The teachers I know joined a supply agency to gain experience before finding their permanent school. The teachers I know all teach in KS2, but none in Year 6. Good luck with the move from secondary to primary.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I moved from secondary to primary and wouldn't move back for all the tea in China.

Maybe try a prep school where you can teach KS2 and KS3.