1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the move into SEN teaching

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Tildabe, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

I'm half way through my NQT year (primary) and am becoming more interested in SEN children and teaching - I have always found working with children who have specific social/emotional/behavioural/learning difficulties particularly enjoyable and rewarding.

I am currently covering a maternity leave teaching post so will be looking for a new job provisionally for the summer term onwards, if not definately for September start and am seriously considering trying to find a job in an SEN school.

I'm therefore looking for any advice regarding the best way of going about this, what sort of challenges, highs and lows I can expect (and generally to hear about your experiences), whether there is anything I should be doing to help me persue this route (I currently have a lovely autistic boy in my class and gained experience of aspergers, cerebal palsy, dyspraxia and dyslexia during my PGCE year placements) but otherwise have no training or specific experience) and whether taking this route will affect career prospects should I choose to go back into mainstream state education at a later date.

Sorry for the waffle, chocolates for anyone who can make sense of it!

2. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

I'm half way through my NQT year (primary) and am becoming more interested in SEN children and teaching - I have always found working with children who have specific social/emotional/behavioural/learning difficulties particularly enjoyable and rewarding.

I am currently covering a maternity leave teaching post so will be looking for a new job provisionally for the summer term onwards, if not definately for September start and am seriously considering trying to find a job in an SEN school.

I'm therefore looking for any advice regarding the best way of going about this, what sort of challenges, highs and lows I can expect (and generally to hear about your experiences), whether there is anything I should be doing to help me persue this route (I currently have a lovely autistic boy in my class and gained experience of aspergers, cerebal palsy, dyspraxia and dyslexia during my PGCE year placements) but otherwise have no training or specific experience) and whether taking this route will affect career prospects should I choose to go back into mainstream state education at a later date.

Sorry for the waffle, chocolates for anyone who can make sense of it!

3. The SEN schools I know wont consider you until you have a good few years of mainstream teaching under your belt so you have a solid curriculum knowledge. The SEN bit can be learnt on the job.

4. Our SEN school takes on NQTs. If you have an interest just go for it. I did and have never looked back. Good luck!