1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the move from primary to early years?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by charockie, Jan 6, 2019.

1. charockie

charockie New commenter

Hello everyone! So I did my undergraduate degree in early years and loved it. Worked as a TA in reception and later a deputy in preschool room - loved both! Took a couple of years out to go travelling/ explore different options etc. Started my primary PGCE in September thinking I was ready now (had previously started it twice and changed my mind) and it's okay but I don't love it. Had a 7 week year 1 placement, that was okay but so formal with a strong emphasis on maths and English. Currently completed 3 weeks out of 8 on a year 6 placement. Again, it's okay. Spent an afternoon in year 2 and obviously much preferred it, the younger ones are definitely much more fun. However, I am having serious doubts about teaching as a career. Long story short, I have a horse who I have owned for almost 10 years and he is my absolute world. He became very ill with sepsis over the Christmas break and needed three surgeries. It is going to be touch and go for a few more weeks and I don't know yet whether he is going to be okay. I live in London and keep my horse about 20 minutes away, however due to rush hour traffic, it's a 45min/ 1hr drive if I leave my house before 6:30pm. So in term time, my friends and mum help out and I don't really get to see him during the week. Because of what we've gone through the past couple of weeks, I feel like I don't want to return to university and not see my horse. I am now questioning whether teaching is the right path for me after all due to the workload, it is difficult to explain but this whole experience has shifted my thinking and I feel I want to do things differently, have a better work - life balance. I also prefer early years personally, it is just so underpaid and underappreciated that I thought I'd be better off being a "proper teacher". It doesn't feel worth it anymore. Can I please have some opinions of people in EYFS? Just looking for reassurance for how your setting is/ the career set up you have etc? I've worked in nurseries where other members of staff are quite lazy and it is not a great place to be. But I have also worked in settings where staff are valued, proactive, knowledgaknow and it's a great place to be - is this rare?? Thank you so much if you got this far!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

No it's not rare, I'd say everywhere has that mix of good and bad like any other sector.
    Just have to find the right job for you. Early years is certainly no picnic, which I'm sure you are aware of. Poor pay, long hours, low status, poor career progression. But, in the right place, amazing teams, real sense of doing something worthwhile, a laugh minute and often flexibility in hours. I'm not sure it would solve you issue with wanting to spend more time with your horse, unless you can work part time for a bit?
    I'd probably suggest stick out the PGCE as you're half way near enough, then use the time to look for the kind of job you would like. You've always got it then even if it fills a gap for you later on in life.

3. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Fully agree with @grumbleweed. You've got so far with your PGCE, it's definitely worth seeing it through to the end. Lots of people don't love it during training - just grit your teeth and get through it. Then spend a good amount of time working out what you really want to do - you'll be in a position to choose. Look round different schools / settings - that way you'll work out what you want to do and will have a qualification in your pocket that will open doors.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Finish your PGCE and be a teacher in early years. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Whatever job you do, there is little chance you'd be able to see your horse during the week given the journey out to see him. However, with teaching you could move out of London and live somewhere where your horse could be much closer.