1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the most of your downtime...

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MusicTeacherReading, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MusicTeacherReading

MusicTeacherReading New commenter

I know we don't always have a lot of it, it when you have some downtime, how do people spend it? I'd quite like to take up a new hobby and tried joining a choir, however being a Head of Music and a pianist the hobby soon turned to another work project.

I'm 26 and single, live in my own flat and have a work-life balance issue where I can often be found in my office working long 12-hour days. I've been in the job almost a year and it was the realisation of watching an NQT quit through stress that made me realise that if I don't do something about it now then my career won't last beyond my 30th birthday. The vast majority of HODs at my school are married and have children and Friday afterschool trips to the pub aren't cutting it!

So I guess my question is: What hobbies (non musical!) do you suggest that allow you to completely forget the stresses and strains of work for a little while?

2. MusicTeacherReading

MusicTeacherReading New commenter

I know we don't always have a lot of it, it when you have some downtime, how do people spend it? I'd quite like to take up a new hobby and tried joining a choir, however being a Head of Music and a pianist the hobby soon turned to another work project.

I'm 26 and single, live in my own flat and have a work-life balance issue where I can often be found in my office working long 12-hour days. I've been in the job almost a year and it was the realisation of watching an NQT quit through stress that made me realise that if I don't do something about it now then my career won't last beyond my 30th birthday. The vast majority of HODs at my school are married and have children and Friday afterschool trips to the pub aren't cutting it!

So I guess my question is: What hobbies (non musical!) do you suggest that allow you to completely forget the stresses and strains of work for a little while?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I took up learning to play a guitar, learning French and starting a MA.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I tried salsa for a bit - great as it combines music with another skill and apparently most modern songs can fit the salsa rhythm.
    I second the learning a new language bit of course! But then I'd say that, being a language teacher. Photography is one of my husband's serious hobbies, all self-taught and these days it's easy to pick up nice bits of kit for cheap on ebay, particularly if you go down the film route, which can then lead to processing and developing (black and white is relatively easy).
    I've just met an old friend who is really into semi-precious stones - he has quite a collection and there are stone fairs apparently. He often travels to Madagascar for work and so can find stones relatively cheaply, which he then swaps with other amateurs.
    I guess it will all depend on where you live. I gave up the salsa lessons mainly because it was in the middle of the week and half an hour away from where I live, so ultimately not viable.

5. Join a tennis club - fun, sociable and good exercise
    Reading - good for winding down at night - you could join a book club too which is very sociable too

6. Yoga and playing my new 3DS games.

7. September

September New commenter

Book a weekend or week away on an activity holiday. I have done cycling and walking holidays. It may then spur you on to take something up on a more regular level once you get back.

8. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Currently I'm training for a marathon. Running is an amazing stress reliever and it amazing how blank my mind goes when its focusing on breathing!!

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Careful! Next step will be the ironman or ironwoman!

10. try a spint triathlon - great fun and not too serious!! Can highly recommend it. me and hubby training too, wouldn't say in earnest, but currently better than before Christmas, but then it is only the first week back - in 2 weeks time I may be so shattered I have neither energy nor willpower left

11. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Problem with a tri is I'd have to learn to swim properly!! Energy isslowly decreasing for me too - but I'm going to push through *hopefully* otherwise I end up sat on the sofa eating!

12. MrMusic

MrMusic New commenter

Wow! Everyone on here sounds like superman/women. I find I've got little left in me other than a movie and maybe some tweets about the news. I think I may need to look at doing something else as well... *googles low impact exercise*