1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the most of voluntary classoom time before PGDE

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Emsbeth_89, May 22, 2010.

1. Hey,

I am hoping to apply to do PGDE (Primary) in september for 2011 entry, and was hoping some of you may have some tips on how to best spend the time in the classroom before joining the course. So that it can help me get through the application stage and later on with the course its self.
    I am aware of the jobs situation for primary teaching at the moment and have considered whether now is infact the nest time to enter teaching, but for me I feeel this would be the best time, before I have too many financial or personal resposabilities.

Thanks, :)
    Emsbeth_89

2. Hey,

I am hoping to apply to do PGDE (Primary) in september for 2011 entry, and was hoping some of you may have some tips on how to best spend the time in the classroom before joining the course. So that it can help me get through the application stage and later on with the course its self.
    I am aware of the jobs situation for primary teaching at the moment and have considered whether now is infact the nest time to enter teaching, but for me I feeel this would be the best time, before I have too many financial or personal resposabilities.

Thanks, :)
    Emsbeth_89

3. Hi Emsbeth
    I'm starting the PGDE this September so can give you some advice around the interview if not the actual course.
    I found that the interviewers do not expect you to be doing anything too challenging during the volunteering. You really just need to spend enough time in a classroom to convince them that you know what teaching is like and you genuinely want to do it. And also that you are able to answer some fairly basic questions like: why primary? what makes you suited? what are the challenges of teaching etc...
    In my experience I have found that I am not completely in control of what I do as a volunteer. Explain to the headteacher why you are there, what sort of experience you have already and they will devise some sort of plan for you.
    In summary, don't be too concerned about getting the 'ideal experience'. It all helps.
    Euan

4. Hey, Thanks for replying. I have done all my classroom experiance at that school over the last couple of years, even before deciding to go into teaching so the head knows what I have done in the past, spoke to her yesterday, and she seemed really keen that I go and do the PGDE, which is good :) just need to wait until september for the application time.

Emma

5. Hey again!
    Thought I would just ask my new question in here rather than a new forum.
    What if anything have people who applied for this year and in the past do with regard to recording/ keeping a note of all the things that you have observed/took part in when volunteering and visiting a school. And was it worth it?
    I haven't done this in the past but not sure if I should start doing it now?
    Emsbeth_89

6. I did. I wrote the school timetable on inside cover (breaktime,lunch time, assembly day etc) then each week I wrote out things like
    Class/teacher I was with. How the started the day off (children self registering vs. teacher lead, how she found out who was doing what for lunches)
    How lessons were introduced & broken up
    How she got class attention/ dismissed them at break/lunch
    what reward scheme was in place
    Also:
    Anything the children particularly enjoyed.
    Any behaviour things that came up I made a note of what happened and how the teacher dealt with it (without children's names obviously!), how she got the rest of class to stay on task.
    What I did with the children, how well it went, feedback from the teacher, anything I wanted to work on for next time.
    In the short term I was able to discuss at interview the behaviour management techniques I'd seen at the interview, and talk about the various active literacy/numeracy schemes I'd seen throughout the school, and to discuss with the DHT which stages I'd like more experience in.
    I don't know how worthwhile it'll have been in the long run, but I'd never have remembered it if I didn't write it down. Writing it all helped me to focus on the experience.

7. Hey everyone!

I'm back with the same sort of questions as before, I am going to keep a diary this time and going to be in two very different schools. One small country school and one much larger RC school in a big town.

Sometimes I am worried about what my role actually is in the school I am in currently (the small one) and what boundaries there will be in the big one. at the bigger school I know none of the staff and only one pupil out of nearly 300 :O I think at the school I am at I get a lot of freedom/ lee-way. I am generally given a vague instruction e.g "take P1 for number work up to 20 like 20-1, 20-2, 20-3 etc" or "do time work 1-to-1 with pupil x digital and analogue..".and then I just make things up as a go along. Or recently I researched activities for next terms topic things for them to do etc but with no plan to follow as it hadn't been created yet... definitely one of the more challenging things I have done at the school as I ended up doing a rough sketch of a plan in my head of how the topic could work and then coming up with ideas and printing resources, haven't had any feedback on that yet as I haven't seen teacher yet. I'm sure I won't be given the same level of freedom in this new school but...
    How did everyone get on in new placements pre teaching or whilst on their course, any big do's or don't's?
    I hope this post doesn't seem like I am moaning about what I do at the school or anything I'm not just sometimes wonder if this freedom/ lee-way is a good thing? The staff are all really supportive of me becoming a teacher :) Also how many of you stayed late to help out? I tend to do it at least once a week and can stay until the teachers leave :)

Emsbeth

8. Sorry about formatting I am using google chrome x

9. I am worried that I won't have much recent experience before I start the course in Aug. I am currently working two jobs to pay for the course and there is little time for any classroom experience.
    Do you think it matters?

10. I'm only getting as much experience because 1 I am unemployed and 2 at my original school I have been helping there for years so just show up when I have free time. Its not the amount just the quality you know like how much you gain from it. Can you take holidays from one or both jobs and use that time to get into a school and/ or any after school activities?