1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the glacial system interactive?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by C_Palms, Oct 17, 2015.

1. C_Palms

C_Palms New commenter

Hi there,

I'm a trainee teacher and I'm designing lessons for year 10s for glaciology. I wondered if there was anyone who had any ideas of activities that to do with the students to make the lesson more interesting than copying off the board?

I'm having a lack of creativity moment!

TIA,
    Christine

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Homework - make a glacier and bring it in. (If it's cake you get to eat it!)

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Card sorts, dominoes (definition on one side, key word on the other side), match the picture to the definition, mapping activities where you give them photos of the features and they have to find them on the map (really gets them thinking), annotated photos are really a really important skill. You can download 'picture reveals' (google it, really good ones come up) and you can choose a photo starter for powerpoint and then cover it and the children choose either numbers or colours to reveal part of the picture and they can guess what it is. PIctionary, taboo (although not a fan of these myself) My (younger) students made stop start animations last week - could you do this to show formation of glacial features? They had to work in a group to write a script (which they self assessed) before they were allowed near the playdoh, then strict rules about throwing it etc...

If your school don't use Digimap get them to look at it (it's the OS online and you can download OS maps of anywhere in the country at any scale - best money I've ever spent. Plus kids can use it online and annotate it, but haven't worked out how to print from it yet!). I agree about cake - the kids at my school love to make cake homework (we're on coasts and the local area - maps in cake are great!)

Try searching the internet for ideas for geography starters and plenaries.

(Theem to be a lot of brackets in this!) Good luck, I seem to remember teaching Year 10 anything was tough going on teaching practise - it does get better (and easier) (There seem to be a lot of brackets in this!)

4. goldentramp85

goldentramp85 New commenter

Ice cream tub, emptied. Fill bottom with stones,gravel (like the size of the stuff in the bottom of a fish tank). Fill with water. Then freeze. Take to school, whack it out, let it slide around melt. Discuss