1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making science in year 1 2 fun!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tempest, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Please can anyone share how they teach science in year 1/2. I have come from Reception and feel that I never have been good at teaching science however in Reception as it was KUW I could manage to teach my objectives practicaly. I think I have jumped in too hard getting my children to write out investigation plans in great depth and not doing enough hands on stuff. Any help even just about your sorts of science lessons would be much appreciated!

2. Please can anyone share how they teach science in year 1/2. I have come from Reception and feel that I never have been good at teaching science however in Reception as it was KUW I could manage to teach my objectives practicaly. I think I have jumped in too hard getting my children to write out investigation plans in great depth and not doing enough hands on stuff. Any help even just about your sorts of science lessons would be much appreciated!

3. I have science plans for R/1/2 developed by myself and another friend who also teaches R/1/2. We are both experienced teachers and subject co-ordinators, the plans are tried and tested and reference ELGs, include play based activities, assessment activities etc. I was wondering how many people would be interested in these as we are considering putting them on ebay for a small charge (they have taken hours of work over the past few years so feel this is justified)!

4. I would be.Its always good to see how others plan. Hope you decide to put them somewhere.

5. Yes I would also be interested.

6. Sounds like a good idea to me!

7. we use a rolling programme at school so that one yr we may be teaching yr 1 topics and the next yr it will be yr 2 topics...
    I have mixed 1/2. we just finished up electricity and it was fantastic... they made circuits (yr 2) as well as learned about safety (yr 1) and what uses elec and batteries (yr 1) . each child made their own lighthouse and circuit but they also worked in mixed groups to discuss and and answer questions. I often try to challenge the yr 2s but that could mean the more able rather than just the yr 2 children. in my class I have some very bright yr 1s.
    Its hard to explain, but you take a topic and teach it all but differentiate. are there other yr 1 or yr 2 classes in your school? its important to have a rolling programme...

8. Ihave just become a science co-ordinator and am looking for help in producing exciting science plans for KS1 and as i am teaching in Foundation Stage i need all the help i can get and therefore would be interested if your plans do go on ebay. please let me know.

9. Yes - we plan to tweak them over the Easter Break and should have them on within the next few weeks.

10. Some nice ideas on primaryupd8 - but I think it's a subscription site.
    In Lancashire we swear by Discovery Dog & Naughty Nora (his puppy friend) for KS1 - puppets etc with a focus on AT1. Not sure if it's available outside the authority, though.

11. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

I would be very interested in the plans too available on ebay.
    In relation to science my planning ideas tend to lean towards something the chn can play with/explore at the beginning of the session followed by or focused by questions. This is a way of engaging them right from the beginning before you share the learning. I always think of it as hooking them in. We do record what we do but sometimes this could just be on whiteboards etc.

12. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

just realised how old the orginal post was! lol