1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making revision sessions count!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by poppy2004, Nov 25, 2011.

1. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

I have been lucky enough to have my GCSE RS students taken off timetable for the afternoon so I can do some hardcore revision with them to prepare for their exam (in January). It is the afternoon before the exam and even though it seems ages away yet I want to start preparing for it now.
    If anyone has any suggestions for how they do revision sessions with their students I would really appreciate it. Its coming towards the end of a long term and I'm too tired to think straight!
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi,
    I often do a 'spacer' lesson with my students in the run up to their exam.
    Apologies in advance for any typos etc, i'm not feeling too well but hope this makes sense =(
    You need to create a powerpoint of the unit you want to cover with them (aim for no more than 12 slides) and once you have done this you go through each slide, all they have to do is sit quietly and listen without writing anything down.
    I take no more than 10 minutes for this and at the end of the powerpoint slide I take them outside and do something completely different with them (e.g ball games with hand-eye coordination). The idea behind this being it allows the brain to take in the information.
    After 10 minutes I bring them back in and give them a copy of the PP slide with gaps missing. As a class we go through the PP slide together and they fill in the missing words in their booklet to see how much they can remember - you will be really suprised!
    Once the booklet has been filled in we then go outside again and do something completely different for 10 minutes and then return to class where they read their booklet from start to finish in silence, highlighting key words etc.
    If you have time you could add an exam question also.

The 'spacer' lesson is nothing new, however we do it as a school and found the students performed exceptionally well. It only works a few lessons before the exam and there is enough independent research to suggest just how good a revision aid this is.

You might find this does not work, however if it helps I can send you a PP to show you how we do it. Apart from that I also do past exam paper responses, examiner feedback, peer/self assessment/mind maps etc - all of which have advantages.

Hope this helps.

3. A great idea but can not possibly work in most full class situations as you can not take a full class of 25/30 students into a narrow corridor during a lesson to throw a ball about. Although with a small group and a hall or space available it may work - it is the logistics I am questioning not the concept which sounds great just curious to know how your school works it? J x

4. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

I always do this with my year ten and eleven classes and when you consider the average is thirty to a class, it can be done. At the time I take them out to do a completely different activity for ten minutes, I normally take them outside, in the hall or the dance studio we have. We are fortunate to have the space,however it can be done outside.

5. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

That sounds really interesting Faldamir12 - can I PM you for a copy of the powerpoint?

6. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi poppy,

I will send it to you soon as well as the necessary information re activities. Let me know if you found it useful.

7. I teach this revision technique.
    Take a sheet of paper and list all the subjects covered. There should be no more than ten. So these might be things like "Islam", "Ethics", "St Augustine".
    For each subject, take another sheet of paper and list the main areas covered in it. So for "ethics" it might be Hindu ethical teaching, the abortion debate, Singer. Fill in as much detail as possible.
    Then for each subject, note whether you know it well, poorly, or reasonably well. That tells you where to focus revision.
    It's important that the divisions are made by the child. What you tend to find is that even stronger pupils tend to struggle to list even the broad subjects covered. But they should be able to recall them, with effort. So the act of making the lists is actually itself a large part of the revision. With the lists, they'll have good, self-generated revision plans.

8. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Poppy - I have emailed the PP's to you,

Hope this helps