1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making resources

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by misspixie9, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm in the final couple of weeks of a pgce, and finding myself with quite a lot of time on my hands. My mentor suggested I spend some of the time making resources - great idea, but what? I don't have a job for next year yet so can't start thinking about that. I've made things like drawing blocks and wood joints and mechanism boards already. So what I'm really wondering is, what sort of things would you recommend? Is there something you wish you'd done sooner? Is there something you'd be making right now if you had chance?

I don't want to be sitting around looking bored, but I'm running out of ideas!

Thanks

Pixie

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Get onto the resource section of this site and have a look at KS3 SOW. In particular have a look at work from people like littlemissraw, erica c hanson etc and look at how they set up and systemize their projects. Set yourself up a template, an apporach, an aesthetic for your schemes of work. Set up a framework which incorporates marking, nc levels, self evaluation and the write your very own SOW, start with Yr7, take it to your next interview,post it on the site get it reviewed, you may even get it featured as a review in the TES magazine, you never know??
    Cheers
    Spencer
    TES DT Advisor

3. Thanks for the suggestion! Should keep me busy for a while - I could go back and tidy up/improve on the schemes created in my earlier placements too, hadn't thought of that :)

4. Do a GCSE piece of coursework. All the sketch book work, design folder, models and final product will be invaluable to you when you are under pressure to deliver the sylabus. Also get this years GCSE papers and do model answers. Once again really useful. Make sure you have scaned all work so you can create powerpoints to use during lessons, up-load to school web site or hand to students on a CD.