1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making redundancies - dealing with aftermath and low morale

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Elfassy1, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Elfassy1

Elfassy1 New commenter

Good morning,
    I would really welcome anyone's advice on how break the news to the staff that we will be making redundancies? The process will be underway shortly and after months of discussions with the LEA and Governors, we have exhausted all options. I guess it is not informing the staff but more on how to deal with the aftermath and the low morale which I am sure such news will create.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No helpful advice, just to send my very best wishes for a difficult task.

Showing them the figures might help them understand the situation, but you are right that morale will be hit hard.

Keep strong.

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Be entirely open and transparent with the budget - show how you've tried to save money and avoid losing staff. I assume you're being supported by the LA Personnel dept who will be helping you to conduct the whole process properly - one part of the process is to ask staff up front if there are volunteers for redundancy, anyone thinking of retiring, etc.

digoryvenn and GLsghost like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Don't do what my ex-Head did and send his secretary to give me a letter, informing me of my redundancy, last lesson Friday afternoon, just as year 11 were walking into the classroom.To say I couldn't concentrate on the lesson is an understatement. He did apologise. I made my feelings clear to the secretary in no uncertain terms...

GLsghost and frangipani123 like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness, that must really be the worst horror story I've heard this year!

In front of year 11?

:)

Best wishes

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

...and be sure to follow the legal advice to the letter, or you'll have me sending you my famous stroppy letters! ;)

Good luck - what a very difficult situation for you to be in. :(

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

No, I closed the door and said what I had to say in the corridor.
    They could tell I wasn't happy!
    I enjoyed a slice of Schadenfreude when he was 'made redundant' a year later, though.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I had to do this last year; it was really horrible. Follow MM's advice, that's what I did. I was open and honest and showed them all of the figures and involved the staff in helping to find solutions. There were lots of tears but In the end I had a volunteer.
    Good luck.