1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making plans for the future

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sjns, Jan 3, 2020.

1. sjns

sjns New commenter

Hello all, posted this in part time forum too as I didn’t spot this one before

I have been a primary teacher for 5 years and my husband has recently become a high school teacher

we have just got married and bought a house so naturally we are now thinking about starting a family and are at the very early stages of the adoption process

As we are both full time, I currently cannot imagine us having the time to look after children with things as they are.

Our plan is for me to go to 0.6 after a few months adoption leave but I am very nervous about asking my school for this. I’ve picked up on vibes from my head teacher that she is not fond of part timers.
    Any advice on this?

I am aware that those two extra days will not be true days off as there will always be prep to do but I am hoping that this will ease things up significantly. Am I naive for thinking this?

Also, I know that there are compromises everyone has to have but I’m finding the prospect of my salary (and pension!!) being reduced when switching to 0.6 scary too. I know that I can’t be a full time teacher as I struggle to find time for my husband as it is! But I wondered if 0.6 teaching + some work from home part time kinda stuff would be the way to go but I’m not sure whatopportunities there would be for this?

sorry for the long post and lots of questions. Any help sorting my life out would be much appreciated!!

2. sjns

sjns New commenter

Another question: would you advise me to discuss going part time with my head teacher now at the start of the adoption process or wait until the adoption leave has begun?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I dont know what the procedure re adoption is but I'm struck by the "working from home" comment.
    I dont know what age your eventual adoptee will be but my extensive experience with the under-5s suggests that unless you are planning to put them in a nursery, they will make it extremely difficult for you to get anything work-like done at hme whilst they are actually awake. They require a lot of attention and the situation of the parent being present yet unavailable is one they find very difficult to deal with.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

As far as I know, you are entitled to make a request in writing, for flexible working, which will be considered by the head, in terms of its impact on the school. I believe you can make one written request per year, but am happy to be corrected if that’s inaccurate.

You’ve said that you get the impression that your head is not sympathetic to part time teachers and s/he will make a decision based on the needs of the school, the timetable and any relevant factors.

I agree with @Aquamarina1234, that small children are very time consuming and not conducive to working from home, unless you have other childcare in place. You don’t say whether your plan is to adopt a baby, toddler, or older child, but if you’re struggling to find time to spend with your husband and he with you at this stage, you'd have to consider whether a career break is an option.