1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making our own resources/writing our own stories etc

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Jun 12, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Excuse me.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Remember that 'Listen and I'll tell you a story' are some of the most beautiful words that a little child can hear.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I wish I'd taken more care to remember choralsongster's username. Sorry.

4. Children seem to love it when you make up a story for them, and they want to hear it again and again. There's something very powerful about it, which I suppose goes back to old oral traditions of listening to stories by candlelight. Maybe it's because they look at your face and catch all the expressions instead of looking at a page, and that makes it intimate and immediate. Perhaps in telling a story we naturally look at our listeners for reactions and respond and interact more. Maybe the absence of pictures and props makes the children's imaginations work, and makes them notice and drink in the wonderul English (or whatever) language. The story isn't set in stone and can develop as it goes along. It also has the advantage that you can make up your story to exactly fit the point you want to get across.
    [​IMG]

5. Hi everyone
    We do 'circle stories'. I start off the story and then each child in turn adds a little. I used props to begin with to help them and although they were unsure at first but soon got the hang of it. As they became more confident I introduced new ideas and encouraged them to use more descriptive language. Some of these stories are fab. I sometimes record them using a digital voice recorder and so have evidence for PSED/CLL without even trying!

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Storytelling and making our own resources were an essential part of my initial training. I am often shocked that <strike>younger</strike> newer teachers never think of making things.
    I often write stories on my whiteboard, using words children will be able to read, they love reading my silly stories because it is a message written directly from me to them. In the same way, I suppose, they are currently enjoying writing 'messages in bottles' for me to read. They particularly enjoy watching me try to extract the paper from the bottle before I can read "help I am stuck on a deset irland from a piret" or whatever.