1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making one of the hardest decisions ever :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jader123, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Just after some advice really. I have literally just qualified, and had no luck in securing a job for September. However, I have a two bed rented house to pay for and also my personal bills and a car to run therefore relying on supply doesn't seem like a great option to me! So I have started to search for other full time jobs anywhere and everywhere including cinemas, supermarkets and pubs! Am I making a big mistake finding another full time job? I love teaching and would love to be doing that more than anything but at the moment I feel like I still need to keep myself, house and car going and can't really 'wait' around? I mean, when jobs come up for January etc, I will still apply etc. Advice please or anyone that has been in this position would be great, thank you

2. There is nothing wrong with getting a job to pay the bills. It doesn't mean you've given up on teaching. Jobs come up all the time. Keep looking, keep applying. Have you thought of applying for cover supervisor or TA jobs?

3. Thank you so much for your reply. I don't want it seem like I am turning my back on teaching because that's all I have ever wanted to do! Yeah I have, but not many in my area at the moment which is a shame. I also want a full time job that will secure us a mortgage because we have a deposit ready. The whole thing is just so stressful, deep down I didn't want to believe after 2 years of A levels and 3 years of a degree, I wouldn't be able to get a job :(

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It not just teaching , there are lots of grads in the same boat. Bills need to be paid so do what you must. However be aware that some lowere paid jobs might not look at you either. I've applied for a good number and been rejected from all those too... [​IMG]
    What region are you in? x

5. Yeah it's tough in the job world at the moment! I know what you mean, I have literally been applying for anything, cleaning job, cinema worker... loads! And have got no where haha. I had telephone interview for bank job today which will still be a nice 19,000 pounds salary and got through to face to face interview in a couple of weeks!! I am in the south west x

6. I had exactly the same thing - In the end I decided to go back to the corner shop I worked at when I was a student. They thankfully took me back on. There is nothing wrong with doing what you need to do!
    Just be aware that while you're out of teaching and in a separate line of work you will be losing 'recent experience' so you would need to consider how you could gain this, and keep up to date with education while applying for jobs and working full time.

7. Thankyou for the advice, can I ask how you did this while you went back to work in the corner shop? And have you got a teaching job since?

8. My circumstances were a little different - I actually ended up getting a teaching post through redeployment from a prior post. However, my shifts were 5 - 11 pm so my MIL would come and look after our children between 4:30 - 6 while my husband got home. It freed up my days so that I could consider other options such as voluntary placement - I also have a 1 year old and I was considering whether it would be worth my while putting her into childcare while I did some voluntary work and was looking into placements.
    Although I have found a teaching job, I actually haven't been in the c/r for about 5 years. I was working for the council in the children and family services dept after being unable to secure my NQT. They took advantage of my PGCE and I was able to work alongside the workforce development team in a training capacity. My new job is working as a numeracy skills for life teacher.
    It is difficult at the minute - my career has certainly not been an easy ride - and I know loads of people who have fallen into jobs following PGCE and they're still there now! (lucky people!!) My advice is try to take something that either opens doors or enables you to get voluntary experience or supply. It is do-able, but you do have to think carefully about what you decide to go with.

9. Oh right I see. Thank you very much for the advice. It is so difficult, I want to keep in loop by working with children/as close as I can but also have to think of the money. I have always believed in 'everything happens for a reason' so I truly believe if I get this bank job, then it is meant to be. When jobs come up for January etc, I will still apply and see what happens.

10. Me too. I was quite excited when I was linked with the workforce development team. - and now i've managed to get into teaching in a different way than what I ever expected to. But then, the jobs are a lot better for my family circumstances - in a school you could never take time off if your little ones are ill but in these posts I can do that and it's not frowned upon as much. Perhaps I'll end up in a secondary school teaching maths later in life rather than primary. Whatever happens now, at least i'm doing what I always wanted to do - teach.
    My mum once said to me, if it's meant to be it'll happen anyway - I believe this too. She said this about a boyfriend I'd split up with when I was 15 years old - We got back together 20 years later, were married in 2009 and have 2 children together now! It seems that I'm going down the same path with teaching and if it's meant to be it'll happpen anyway!!

11. littlemissraw

Aww how nice.
    Good look with the bank interview OP [​IMG] x

12. Awwwwwwwwwww

13. Aww that's so lovely! Bless ya both! Had even more exciting new this morning, I have secured an interview for a pre-school manager job in brand new pre-school opening in September within a soft play area :) it feels like doing a teaching interview though as got to read a story to the children then set up a problem solving activity. EEEEEK so excited, it's the day before the bank one! x

14. littlemissraw

Aww thats great news, glad someone is getting interviews! lol. Fingers crossed let us know how you do (we'll try not to be too envious if you get it [​IMG]) x

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Best of luck & fingers crossed!

16. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I really hope you get the job, it sounds ideal!
    If you don't, then have you thought about cutting your expenses so that you could maybe take a shop job for a couple of days a week and try to get supply for the rest of the week? That way you have some guaranteed income but also have the chance to get some teaching experience. You mentioned that you have a 2 bedroom flat, if you don't have kids, then maybe you could move to a 1 bedroom place, and do you need the car? I say this as someone who's been teaching for 9 years and still lives in a 1 bedroom place, and who couldn't afford a car for the first 3 years of my working life - it is doable!

17. Thankyou everyone in this forum for your lovely comments, support and advice! I am extremely excited to announce I have secured a DEPUTY MANAGER job within a brand new pre school!!! I am sooooo happy xx

18. littlemissraw

Thats BRILLIANT news [*]Well Done xx

19. Well Done! good for you.xx
    I am glad I have found this thread as I have just posted one about NQT with no job. I am in the same position thinking to apply for a nursery nurse as I am qualified for it and have experience in that field, or TA and HLTA.I am glad that I am not the only one making such decision. I am not giving up on teaching as it is something I have always wanted to do, but still need to earn a living for the time being.

20. Thank you everyone, I am so over the moon

Yeah exactly, sometimes we have to side track a little because of supporting families, running the house etc and it does not mean at all that you are giving up on teaching! I found it hard to except but had to do what I had to do but thankfully found a job that links to teaching. Being a TA or HLTA will gain you even more experience and get your foot in the door, I would definitely try and go for it :)