1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making Number bonds (numbers to 10 and 20 ) more exciting?????

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Silverprincess, Mar 23, 2007.

1. HI! Taught a 20 min sesh on number bonds today using fingers and whiteboards. Does anyone know of a more stimulating, exciting, motivating etc way of teaching number bonds to 10 and 20???? Would love to hear your ideas as I felt my lesson lacked that X
    ( Xciting! ) factor. I know I can COUNT ( pun intended! ) on you lot to come up with something.........

2. HI! Taught a 20 min sesh on number bonds today using fingers and whiteboards. Does anyone know of a more stimulating, exciting, motivating etc way of teaching number bonds to 10 and 20???? Would love to hear your ideas as I felt my lesson lacked that X
    ( Xciting! ) factor. I know I can COUNT ( pun intended! ) on you lot to come up with something.........

3. i would love to know for number bonds to 10, if anyone has any ideas?

4. i do on my velcro board a bus with windows upside and down, 10 (or whatever number bond we are working on that day) people get on the bus, so many up and down, they change seats during the journey, but there are always that many so we can go through all the diff bonds for that number.
    we also do the same principal with so many ducks on / off the pond, pigs in / out of the sty, also just introduced using dried beans (kidney i think form the health shop). Spay paint one side of them all a bright colour, then we do bonds using the beans - ie they are given say 5 , and they shake them in a cup, tip them out, look at how many are coloured / not to explore the bonds they make so making up their own 'number sentences'.

is that what you were looking for?
    mrs p xxxx

5. I used superkings ladybirds and (got the idea from a poster on this forum) used split pins to add 2 wings to cover both sides. then simply show one side of dots and have the children figure out how many dots are under the other side. Then I introduced writing the number story.

6. Deal out a deck of playing cards (ace counts as 1 and you remove other picture cards). Children pair up the cards that add to ten. Ten stays on it's own. Once used to this, they can turn the cards face down, pick one card then try to find it's pair to ten... if they pick up a card which makes a pair they keep it, otherwise they return both...

7. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

If you are the person who ordered a lot of these resources around midnight last night ..........
    My computer crashed (temp) this morning and LOST your email. Please get in touch again :)
    Marilyn
    KS1 Resources

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

ten galloping horsed galloped through the town
    1 was white and 9 were brown (hold up fingers)
    they galloped up (hold up hands)
    they galloped down
    ten galloping horses gallped through the town

big up actions of course
    helps if number bonds are displayed somewhere in room

9. Thanks for all your number bond suggestions - particularly liked the coloured kidney bean idea - simple but genius!!! Feel I can now inject a bit of excitement into this topic now. I knew you would come up with some brill suggestions!!! THANKS!

10. Do a numberbond search for flip flaps. It is quick an easy to make and you fold it in different directions. There are 10 spots on a paper. you fold it and ask the children you can see 2 spots how many can I see? This is also useful for inverse operations. Just google it and have a go.

11. I used to play "I say ... you say" at the start of most maths lessons, as a whole class. I would say 7, for example and the class would shout 3 back at me. The more able ones started off initially and then as the others heard them would also start to shout back the correct numbers. As an assessment tool, I would select one or two children I was unsure about to answer me indivivually.
    http://supergran-puzzlemaker.net/games.htm

Some good number bonds activities to download from this site too.

12. I have uploaded posters to the number bond rap in resources. My class love these. Each number bond has an action, so I just say the first number and they do the action and say the bond.