1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making new friends. Could really use some advice

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by arl17, Sep 7, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

I’m in my fifth year of teaching now & have been living with my partner for the past 3 years. Recently I’ve started to realise my life has literally become all work & no play. Up at 6 for work, then cooking etc once home. A lot of my teacher friends have all come from abroad & gone back home. Please could anyone suggest ways of making new friends & having a social life outside of work.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Regretfully, I think most teachers would agree, that these days, a 'social life' is pretty impossible during termtime.
    The demands of the job being what they are these days, it is hard to maintain friends who have more free time and may well not understand why you can't spare the time many weeks.
    The best friendships of course are those friends who have equally demanding jobs and are more tolerant of your , 'Sorry I just can't manage to meet up this week', and those friendships do take time to build up. :(

Probably for now, you might have to accept to have a small circle of friends, people you see with your partner and try to maintain just a small circle.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Have you got the energy to join anything? I never did but you might. Maybe a community choir or a walking group that walks at the weekend. I didn't have much life apart from home, family and work until I retired.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Look at what's going on in your area that you think you would enjoy. Singing is great but it's not everyone's cup of tea. You get to know people that way. You do need to commit to that one evening or Saturday morning etc and try to stick to it. I find having to pay upfront for choir by the term focuses my mind!

It is difficult, but then teaching shouldn't consume your whole life either, and work does expand to fill the time you allow it to. If you do this, you will find your world different and you will probably start to feel better.
    All the years I taught, I did one evening class, I left school early and made myself not work. For me it was Monday.
    I hope you find something.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.