1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making Music exciting!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by kathlta, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I am an NQT in a small school (just over 100 pupils) and I am taking over the role of Music coordinator. The last coordinator used to teach music to the whole school in a couple of weekly afternoon sessions, but it's all change now. Each teacher has to teach music to their own class and we only have Music Express as a resource. Can anyone recommend any music courses they've been on or any schemes of work they follow or anything at all that would help a novice Music teacher? The chn are really enthusiastic singers in assemblies and I want to build on this enthusiasm- does anyone have any ideas for rewarding chn who are performing well musically? I would really like to raise the profile of Music as it is seen as the poor relation within our curriculum!!!
    Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Have you signed up to the SING UP resources? also if you want to link to SEAL there are some really good SEAL songs from MES with 2 versions or each track (with and without choir) and some innovative ideas from Assembly Music Made Easy SEAL packs which had DVDs, CDs as well as support materials and ppts for primary schools.

3. I agree with the last post - have a look at Sing Up - they do training sessions (although their website is down at the moment!) Also have a look at Out of the Ark Music, they have some fabulous resources for assemblies but they also have singing resources to support topics.
    You could try rewarding enthusiastic singers by making them singing leaders - have a look at some news articles on the sing up website - lots of good ideas there.

4. bod99

bod99 New commenter

If they are singing enthusiastically, then maybe it's time to promote other areas of musicianship. How about a songwriting competition? It really encouraged my school to get experimenting and composing, and they needed little reward other than having their song performed in assembly. Music isn't just singing, perhaps encourage some children to perform on instruments in assemblies too?