1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making more money

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Oct 27, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Do you top up your pay or pension? How? I'm considering letting out a bedroom now you can get 7,500 without paying tax.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I did a spot of TAing at a local FE college. Not for the money. Just something to do. Letting out a room seems a good idea

emerald52 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just watch who you choose to let out the room too, with all the new DBS vetting procedure, one is required to 'declare' the DBS status of anyone resident in your home.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you live somewhere desirable to visit, you could rent via airbnb or similar so you don't have anyone "resident".

emerald52 likes this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Good ideas all. Am probably retiring next year so DBS not so much a worry. Thought of a five day lodger so get weekends free. Also thought of training as a life coach.

6. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Did you turn down the money? They must have loved you.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm self employed as well as working full time. Money varies depending on how many clients I have at any one time.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

My plan is to let out Bat Towers in due course whilst I run to the sun. How trite, but I have Spanish blood, and nothing can take it away. Maybe I will age more there, but I doubt it. People pay hundreds of pounds a week for Cotswold cottages like mine... quids in.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I love Sooty -How do you manage full time work and clients too? Is this life coaching? I worry about being bored or wasting time once I'm retired, as well as topping up my money. I am going to be on Grandma duties some days though!

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I have a network marketing business.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Is that something you do at home ln your computer pepper5?

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi emeral52

My husband and I do the business together, but it isn't computer based although we have a web site with all the details on it. If you send me a PM, I will send you the link.

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm a self employed counsellor @emerald52 . I work in the evenings as well as during the day.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'd watch it if I lived in Bat Towers and was being a bit complacent about nothing being able to take my Spanish blood away! Never heard of Vampires, ftgibs?

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-you...2HEgl7yi9P6gC2td8JObtt9tg.-rent-a-room-scheme

Has the tax free amount gone up? Or are you referring to another tax break?

Never mind the DBS I'd be careful who I rented out to because I would like to have a peaceful nights sleep without a potential nut bag in the other room *my days of nut bags in the house are long gone o_O;)

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For about ten years in pre-eBay times I ran a dealership in collectables as a sideline to teaching.

Now I'm retired from teaching I do it to supplement my pension, along with a couple of other things that keep me busy and entertained. One involves working with schools, so the teaching experience comes in handy.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I also do counselling and psychotherapy - something I qualified in long before I ever got into teaching.

And proof-reading/copyediting - again something from my past life. Being a grammar nazi is useful!

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our previous house was too big for us. We let a room for several months. I would never do it again. Our lodger was pleasant but thoughtless. It stopped our home from feeling like our own. Our lodger was a friend prior to her moving in so that made it more difficult.

We reduced our mortgage by downsizing instead.

When I retire I intend to do tutoring and exam marking. Several of my former colleagues earn a good income from those sources.