1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making maths make sense (MMMS)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caramel, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Does anyone else teach this program in reception. Would be grateful for your views as I have to use it next year and people I have spoken to say it is to boring for reception.
    Thanks

2. Does anyone else teach this program in reception. Would be grateful for your views as I have to use it next year and people I have spoken to say it is to boring for reception.
    Thanks

3. Oh dear, Caramel!
    What a mistake you are making in the people you have been talking to. I suggest you write to me personally so that I can do three things: (i) Put you in touch with people who have studied the pedagogy and professionally developed the methods (ii) Provide you with some detailed information about the nature of cognitive development and the predicates of this development in the early years (iii) alert you to the mistakes that are made in early years teaching by failing to appreciate the distinction between everyday learning and theoretical learning.
    Meanwhile ... my very best wishes to you ... Ilook forward our future communications.
    Richard Dunne (contact me via www.MMMSRD.com)

4. IT IS AMAZING!!! Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise!!

We have been following MMMS in our Reception class all year. The majority of our children come from difficult backgrounds with little or no exposure to maths at home, and most of them do not have English as their first language. Many do not have any English at all when they come in to class in September.

Our results at the end of the FS have been outstanding in maths. The children recognise AND UNDERSTAND the signs - + = and the signs for a half and a quarter. Their number formation is excellent, far better than that of our children in KS2. They can read, write and use numbers beyond 100, and they show a clear understanding of their value. They are able, independently, to add a half to a half, they can add using quarters, and their understanding and mathematical thinking is secure and strong. Even children with SEN have made incredible progress. The children are capable of performing mixed operations and, using the cups to help them, can solve maths stories such as
    3+1+5-0+6-2+1-0= etc (I can't type half and quarter properly on here but they can add and subtract with those too!!)

The program is very kinesthetic and visual and it really appeals to the children. Abstract concepts are tightly linked to physical actions and so the children develop mathematical understanding rather than just learning things by heart without ever knowing what they mean. I would really recommend going to visit a school where they follow the scheme, and talking to Richard Dunne - he is inspirational! Don't make snap decisions until you have investigated!!

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

thats amazing saleriano, and just goes to show that if given the experinces how they will progress in mathematics. Our nursery children have access to lots of maths activities and rm maths and enter the reception class having met the ELG's for maths.

6. Dull, limited, misses out all the excitement in maths - the chances of turning children off are high. EYFS friendly? Apparantly fun and interesting can't happen til you've done the learning. See the Williams Review before you decide. Maths is the most fabulous subject to teach young children. You don't need this. Richard has something of a vested interest....

7. Of course Richard has a vested interest - as he makes perfectly clear in his post!

The MMMS scheme does not incorporate every aspect of early maths and it is not intended to be used that way. It is supposed to used in the context of an early years class. Of course my children have still had experience of a whole range of maths-related learning, indoors and outdoors, such as shape, capacity, pattern, measuring etc etc. The point of MMMS is to enable them to develop a clear understanding of the principles of number and calculating so that they can succeed when they leave Reception. Too many schools fail their reception children by letting them 'find out' how to use number, and they fail to secure any strong understanding of, for example, what add, take away and equals really mean. Check out the scheme for yourself, visit a school that does it in Reception and watch it being taught. That's really the only way you can make a judgement. Good luck!

8. Well said Salleriano, I love MMMS and reception kids love it too.

9. Thanks Miss Molly. Our early year team is looking at it. Teachers I have spoken to seem to either really love it or the dead opposite. I believe there is going to be some collboration with jolly phonic people, which leads me to this mmms people relise it is not quite right for little ones. perhaps I will wait until I have investigated it a little more.

10. We love MMMS because all children can do so much after a very short time and I mean ALL. It seems that some people misinterpret the teaching aspect and think they have to do whole class teaching all the time whenever they do MMMS. That is really dull because children need to practise themselves. I do a short input for the class or a group (like the teacher-directed activities in the new EYFS curriculum says) then break into small groups where children self-initiate or work with me or other adults. If I carry on with MMMS with a group I can really see how much they have learned - they're all writing their numbers correctly and adding and taking away with whole numbers, halves, quarters and zero, 'cos the method makes maths so obvious by using cups. The other groups who self-initiate actually take the cups to the role play area or outside (where I have put big cups, half cups etc. and chalk) and they make up 'maths stories' for ages. Some children don't even need the cups because tghey can do long maths stories in their heads! It makes my observations of their learning really easy - I've taught them something and I can see that they have learned something and they keep learning. That's not boring for me or for them!

11. Hi can you tell me how MMS would be taught in nursery? I have been asked to timetable MMS for our 3 - 4 year olds and would like any help! Should it be a focus activity every day? has anyone set MMS up in nursery and did OFSTED like it? Thanks

12. Wow this is an old thread!