1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making links with schools overseas.

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Lia, May 3, 2007.

1. Lia

Lia

Hiya! Do you have any advice on making links with schools overseas? How this can be done effectively, how links can be made across the curriculum and how to gain enthusiam from the staff?

I (am an NQT and) have just started teaching at a new school and would like to suggest making links with a French speaking African country to raise the profile of Geography, increase multicultural links for the teaching of French and increase the awareness of our global citizenship and life in other countries (in a multi-cultural school).

As a new member of staff I do not want to suggest it until I have a few ideas of how it would work and what we would need to do. I would love to take responsibility for it but would need to be able to pitch it to the staff to gain support and enthusiam.

Any information, contacts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. Lia

Lia

Hiya! Do you have any advice on making links with schools overseas? How this can be done effectively, how links can be made across the curriculum and how to gain enthusiam from the staff?

I (am an NQT and) have just started teaching at a new school and would like to suggest making links with a French speaking African country to raise the profile of Geography, increase multicultural links for the teaching of French and increase the awareness of our global citizenship and life in other countries (in a multi-cultural school).

As a new member of staff I do not want to suggest it until I have a few ideas of how it would work and what we would need to do. I would love to take responsibility for it but would need to be able to pitch it to the staff to gain support and enthusiam.

Any information, contacts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

3. My school had fantastic links with a school in Germany, and we done an exchange each year with pupils from my Scottish school going over there around March time, and German students coming to us in October time.

It was a great thing to do, and a highlight of my career.

I normally had the staff staying with me, and we built up excellent friendships that have lasted. Thankfully they all have a great command of English!

How did I start it? Looked at schools in Europe, and wrote to them.

4. Hi Lia

I am currently working at an international school in Togo, West Africa. If you are interested insetting up some links let me know. The school website is www.bsl.tg

5. google "global gateway"

6. british council and e-twinning. There are partnership making conferences due to be released late May beginning June time too. Not sure of venues but will be on British Council website I think?
    What about LECT too? I went to St Lucia with them last year for week - was excellent!

7. bigbosslady

bigbosslady New commenter

I am the head of a school in Mexico if anyone would be interested in making links here that would be great

8. Hi Bigbosslady
    Very interested in building links with your school in Mexcio - email me on ethomas@bucksgfl.org.uk
    I've just start building on links I have with China within our school and hoping to do a video conference with students shortly. Please let me know if your interested. Best way to build on contacts can be through the British Council as mentioned above!

9. we have built links through our twinning committee with schools in france, germany, italy and romania. We have built up some excellent relationships via exchanges. It all started with comenius, which you can find out about through the british council as already suggested!

10. I found Comenius great - got to visit a school on the border of Turkey/ Iran this year and see what school is like there. Alviro Petrillo is the person you need to email at the British council

11. Hi,
    You are not still a head there by any chance? If not does anyone know of any links to schools Mexico??

12. google "the big challenge"

13. agentalibi2000 - sent you a personal message. Really intersted in working with you.

14. *interested*~