1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making life size figures from chicken wire and polystyrene....help !

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by 9queens, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Decided to get my P6 class to make likenesses of Christ the Redeemer in Rio as part of our Brazil topic.
    Never used these materials before-so
    What is a good tool to sculpt polystyrene?- I'd thought sandpaper and hacksaw blades
    Can chicken wire be readily paper mached over ?
    Any advice on things to avoid etc welcome

2. Decided to get my P6 class to make likenesses of Christ the Redeemer in Rio as part of our Brazil topic.
    Never used these materials before-so
    What is a good tool to sculpt polystyrene?- I'd thought sandpaper and hacksaw blades
    Can chicken wire be readily paper mached over ?
    Any advice on things to avoid etc welcome

3. From an experienced DT teacher the easiest way is to get a large sheet of building polystyrene 6 foot by 4 foot which is cheap and cut it with a hot wire.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

To be honest, I wouldn't be doing such a big project with materials I had no experience of. Have you even got a hot wire? If not you'll have to buy one and the how would you manage a class of kids working and contributing with one hot wire? Of course there'll be saftey considerations if the wire is hot. Also, do you realise how much mess polystyrene carving makes? It's horrendous - it sticks to clothes, hair as well as covering the floor and it flies away when you try to sweep/vacuum it up. The best practice is always to try it yourself first - have you?

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

6. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Paper mache does not easily stick to chicken wire... it's a bit tricky. You could paper mache round a shop dummy then cut it off?
    The clingfilm and tape sculptures are moulded round a person, a limb at a time. Loads of clingfilm, covered in lots of layers of sellotape and then carefully cut off with scissors and join with sellotape. They look good with fairy lights inside too.
    If you do the chicken wire you could still do with a dummy to mould it round probably?
    Good luck!!

7. I have used bubblewrap and brown parcel tape to build large forms, it's not dangerous and children like the squashy feel. You can papermache over it to make a hard paintable covering - sticking the first layer is tricky but once that's on you can add three or four layers. Homebase have rolls of it, or helpineedboxes sell it. The fat big bubble kind is the nicest to use.

8. darkness

darkness New commenter

You had to spoil it. I was looking forward to reading the posts asking for help due to the complete and utter mess likely to come from this.

Chicken wire and stuffed with newspapers, perhaps a bit of plaster then.

9. Making a life size figure in 3D materials is all in the planning.
    How many students are involved?
    How much time are you going to devote each day to your project:
    Shaping the figure? How much time are you going to allow for this? You would need cutting tools for the chicken wire
    Paper mache? - takes ages to dry.

Have you considered using withies? Once you have constructed the figure you can cover it with tissue paper.
    Much cheaper / no shape points

Some sites that may help you:

http://www.somersetlevels.co.uk/information.cfm?y=y&page_id=15&cat_id=6
    http://www.curiouscargo.co.uk/trainingnew.htm

Good luck

Regards

kitto