1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making it fun?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Woozle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. quasi

magnetic paint excellent but needs 3 coats and is VERY expensive- once done it's great feel like a weather girl of old putting things on map - always do sian lloyd impressions!!!

good for racing to label things etc etc

quasi - come to the chat room

we're there now

2. just wanted to be 100!!!

3. Yeah we made it to 100 - thanks to Woozle for starting it, oh and to be helpful..

Consider the use of self-heating coffee cans when doing chemical reactions - how do they work, how hot can they get the coffee, safety features, can we build our own etc (I believe it's lime and water - except they colour the water red - cunning blighters - I may be wrong on that)

4. sorry should be 'quicklime and water' too bloomin' early in the morning

5. quasi - those scince songs are SCARY!!! Good fun though!!!

6. Ms Phys - I agree, if you want some ones that are slightly less scary find the following
    They Might Be Giants - 'The ball is a mass of incandescent gas'
    Tom Lehrer - 'the elements' (well known - oh and look at this animated website for it at... http://www.privatehand.com/flashanimation/elements.html
    Flanders And Swann - 'The First and second law' potentially great for A'level physics thermodynamics, see the lyrics at http://timothyplatypus.tripod.com/FaS/

Other songs I want to work into lessons (whether the kids like'em or not!!!)
    Dry Bones (kneebones connected to...)
    I Can Sing A Rainbow (red and yellow and .....mildly nauseating)

Having now found the chatroom - when are people there by the way?

7. Ms Phys... your in Wales arn't you then forget sian lloyd you really should be aiming higher... DEREK BROCKWAY... now he's a weatherman... soory to all you in England and elsewhere, but he is the KING of all weathermen and when I grow up I want to be him!!

8. Like the std idea. I like this thread as well .. it is encouraging me to be more crazy in lesson as well. The kids make out they think I am mad but they do like it more and when I am acting it up i get more interested myself in what I am teaching.

Just finished teaching Y9 Health and Fitness and could use some good ideas myself. I found it pretty deadly as I have not taught it before.
    One thing that worked well with bottom set was Health Snakes and Ladders. Give them a big A3 grid and number it as it took my first group several eforts to get the numbers right! After that they put on ladders for healthy lifestyle choices eg. eating fruit, going for a run. Snakes (or syringes spliffs etc) for unhealthy choices like watching tv all day, trying smack. It kept them happy for a few lessons, and seemed like a good way to get across material that they would not have been receptive to if taught straight.

Cannot claim credit (or £50!) for this one as I pinched it off someone else. But Hey! Thats what this string is all about.

9. yes mighty mans derek brockway is indeed quite a weatherman - but that's the problem a weatherMAN!!

Quasi - the elements song with animations is truly spelendiforous. Where on earth are you finding these wonders of the scientific world??

Woozle has put some good websites on the chatroom message boards too.

Will be there after 8.30

bye

10. Big THANKS to everyone who has contributed to this thread since I started it. So many fantastic ideas to try thank you lots and lots.

Woozle

11. The STD experiment works really well using milk! Add very strong starch solution to one and get the kids to go off and 'have sex'!!!! Add iodine at the end and see who is infected.
    I saw this done and the milk added a realistic touch!
    As for the songs....what can I say? I am doing electricity tomorrow and I will make them have a sing along!!!

12. Hi Katstreet - One for your microbes teaching - look into the story of the Village of Eyam (many departments have the rather goood Scientific Eye video 'Microbeasts And Disease' which looks at it), and of more use perhaps on this thread there is a playlet that you can get pupils (or a small group of willing pupils) to do. You can find it at...
    http://www.scienceyear.com/sciteach/whoami/everywhere/drama.htm
    (and click on the link to 'The Plague At Eyam'

13. quasi - what are your sources for all htese marvellous ideas - any search tips?

14. I think those ideas are brilliant, but I have an organisational question (this is something I've wondered about before with plays/roleplays): what do you do with the other half of the class? There are parts in that script for about 14 people. So how do you decide who's doing it and who isn't, and how do you organise it so that everyone has something to do?

Kat

15. Ms Phys - Thanks for the praise (blushes rather), for generally keeping an eye on resources you might want to try...
    1) Join the ASE (their magazines and resources are good)
    2) Make sure your department has somewhere to put the flyers and adverts that come into school daily addressed to the HoD of Science. 99% are usesless/expensive - every so often there is a gem, a 'slush pile such as the one I suggest gives you something to pick through.
    For internet searches for multimedia I often try putting in the file type I'm after (ie .mov .avi for sound and movies or .swf for flash animations.
    There are also several e-newsletters around for teachers, they vary in content but have enough in that they're worth getting - I'll post some links when I get a moment

Katsreet - organisational issues are murder on this sort of thing. Generally it is worth talking to your drama/english teachers about it. With this one I would be inclined to divide the class up into 2 or 3 groups - ones doing the drama and 1 or 2 groups doing other activities (but these activities will need to be as 'exciting/low writing level' as the drama - perhaps using a computer room other groups do research on the Plague and have to do a powerpoint presentation?)

The other way I have done it is to pick the confident pupils in the class - give them 5 minutes to read through, and then we do it (I tend to fill in gaps if their are not enough confident pupils) - the rest of the class are 'critics' and have to take notes and review it for acting skills and scientific points that they've noticed at the end. This works in a similar way as having all the pupils watch a video and take notes.

16. Has anyone got any ideas on fun activities to teach Biodiversity to a bored Year 10 class. Nothing that involves taking them outside. Thank you for any ideas.

17. A nice starter activity and it helps to settle them is a quick round of scategories.

For each letter of the alphabet they must list a living animal/plant. First finished stands up and reads out if agree lolly pop. This helps them think about the range of species on the planet. Easily leeds onto definition of a species, why spp are different, niches and adaptations.
    I then finish by letting them do breeds of dogs in pairs more difficult so take highest number (variation within species).

Book IT or library and get them to produce a display on biodiversity in a major biome. I'd get them to pull a topixc out of hat as there is a limit to the number of rainforests you want.

If you can bring yourself to take them outside they could survey plant biodiversity on playing field and uncut grass (use string quadrats as don't throw very far). Animal biodiversity round school take them walkies to maintain control and identify birds etc for them.

Good luck woozle

18. Hey, this is fantastic! I'm still an undergrad but start a secondary PG in September (though geography not sci) and this is exactly the sort of stuff I want to do in geography lessons! (I'm a physical geographer/biogeog'er really...) Regardless its nice to be reassured madness is an asset ;o)

My madness started early- we had to draw a lot of science posters! in Yr 10/11, posters of electrons/neutrons etc became posters of liquorice allsorts; posters of the clotting process became posters of random smiling objects in a red water chute (plates, bottles of milk, etc); microbes became 'the wonderful world of microbes' where they had little circus-esque costumes and performed acts like making cheese(actually perhaps that was yr8...)

About the plate tectonics demo, does anyone have any ideas how to do a subducting plate? Just storing things up for future use...

19. Hi Shrodingerscat - You could do soil and or leaf litter experiments with them - big plastic bag of stuff, one bowl each - forceps and pooter - what do they find and where was it found (albeit a bit jumbled up in the bag). Try a Tulgren funnel for the soil (easy to put together). Not much in leaf litter at this time of year but the soil might have more.

Tractor girl
    Not sure on subducting plate - but I know a good one for destructive plate margins, bit complicted but here we go..

Put 2 desks short end to short end with a smallish (2cm) gap between the 2
    Over each desk lay a length of wallpaper - so that one end of the wallpaper is hanging in the gap (this will be your crust.
    On each piece of wallpaper place a continent (I use polystyrene shapes).
    Now between the 2 continents, but also on top of the wallpaper, and covering the gap between the tables lay a length of light cloth (I use felt) (this is your sedimentary rock on the sea bed)

Now pull on the lengths of paper in the gap, you are pulling the crust into the earth, as you do this the continents will move closer together, you will also see the sedimentary rock ruck up in the middle into folder - these coud be sub-surface hillocks or the begginnings of mountains.
    Hope that made sense

20. Been reading your posts for a few weeks now and have finally plucked up the courage to register so I can thank you all for your brilliant ideas and enthusiasm.

I did my PGCE through the Open University about 6 years ago, did a very brief spell of supply (demoralising and anyway was largely in non-Science subjects I knew nothing about), then took a career break to look after my kids. I'm about to launch into teaching again (permanent job this time I hope) and am struggling with a mixture of trepidation and anticipation. Your obvious enthusiasm for Science is infectious and has reminded me what I used to like about being a Teacher.

When I manage to find a job, I'm going to have a lot to cope with all at once, as I'll effectively be an NQT, who's also got to overcome a large dose of lack of self-confidence from being a stay-at-home Mum all this time. I have taken the liberty of keeping notes of some of your excellent lesson ideas and hope they will help me build a fun learning environment when I return to the classroom.

As and when I generate some good ideas of my own, I'll be sure to share them with all of you. In the meantime, please accept my heartfelt thanks.