1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making it fun?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Woozle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. xxxx

I like your ideas but know what you mean about displays.
    Perhaps agter the birds discussion you could do an investigation into steamlined shapes allowing you to make clay/plasticine shapes to stick up with children's writing beside to describe what happened, hope this isn't grandmother's and eggs here

ms p

2. Yes this is indeed a good forum, and a pleasant change that it is so positive.

I know what ms phys (?) means about having young kids. I am always raiding my kids for props.

Wanted to do speed with a low ability Y8 class and decided that a trip to the local road to watch cars going into the 5o mph zone from 30 would probably result in fatalities. Insted we had a battery poered Thomas Tank engine trundling down the length of the classroom and a faster little racing car.

3. Oh dear! Why do I never spell check postings. So sorry for all the typos. I can spel reelly!!

Also for speed time graphs I used journeys round the classroom involving troublesome members of the class. There they were imortalised on the worksheet. E.g. Bob walks from his desk to the front (5 metres) and takes 5 secs. He borrows a pen from sir standing still for 3 secs and then walks back.

Doesnt sound Very exciting and would definitely not impress "dick" or whatever (s)he was called. But the acid test was that the kids who were featured were pleased to be recognised and those that were not wanted to be in the next worksheet.

4. but Pumpkin - it IS exciting for the kids you teach and I know that they recognise and respond when you do something special, exciting out of the ordinary and make it personal to them

ms p

5. pumpkin - love the idea of a battery poo- ered Thomas the tank!!!

6. Ms phys - no grandma and eggs here - I am NOT a science expert, just some poor suck that has been landed with science coordination (my degree was in religious studies for goodness sake!) so, please explain more what you mean about clay and sticks and steamline shapes...

7. Long time since I visited here. Glad you chased of Nigel!!

Ms-phys mind if I but in on your streamlining stuff...

xxxx
    After watching the budgies start talking about fast and slow shapes, bellyflops and diving at the swimming pool. Drop lumps of plasticine in water to see which makes smallest splash. You can then do an expt / comp where each kid makes a model fish out of controlled mass of plasticine which you race down a clear drainpipe of water. See whose is fastest discuss the shapes and lead on from there. to stick with bird theme diff shaped paper airoplanes out of controlled size of paper. Drop from a controlled height and time to the floor. They can colour them like a bird. have fun with it
    woozle

8. I do speed distance time stuff by timing how long it takes for kids to move across room. Hopping, walking backwards, pigeon steps, threelegged, blindfolded etc.. Potential for disaster so clear a pathway and insist on no poking or prodding. Always get a clown to do pigeonsteps as the faster they try to go the sillier thay look as there bum wiggles around!

I also have wind up racing snail toys, that vacuum cleaner from the tellytubbies and a car. hmm not a parent just have no shame!

9. woozle take it away with the streamlining....tall measuring cylinders work and it's also on focus educational softare investigations - off to chat see you there?

10. I tried the 'eating the cat food'
    Couldn't face eating out of an old cat food tin so washed out an old baked beans tin and stuck a felix label on the tin.
    Worked well...only problem is I am now known as the weirdo from science who eats cat food. I'm worried in case any parents complain if their kids start trying felix!

11. ok people, we are the most positive thread on this forum so our next task is to make it to 100 with more 'making it fun' ideas.

'Izzy the ice cube'

make ice cube out of strong ribena, pretend he is your pet - accidently drop him into clear bowl of warm water and act distraught as he melts - watch colour of water! Good starter for particles and change of state

12. thanks for the ideas - great.

13. Two ideas for 'teaching them about safety' lessons (usually used in Year 7)

1) When talking about tying back long hair - put on a wig, then burn/singe the wig (taking it off head first!) in the flame - gets the point across (watch out for plastic fumes from some wigs)

2) Don't eat/drink/**** about with chemicals. Put 2 glasses on the bench both full of 'purple liquid' - tell the pupils one is Ribena (bring out bottle) the other is dissolved potassium permanagante (bring out bottle - talk about hazards - use hazcard here if desired) - they look very similar, will one of them take the risk?
    If one of them does stop them tell them they were both potassium permanganate. (watch out for pupils trying to sniff the liquid though)

14. Anyone got any good ideas for livening up Y8 water unit (low ability group). We use Spotlight and it seems a bit of a weird mixture.

15. Don't know if it will fit in but...
    Problem solving lesson on 'make your own water cycle' Give them a range of equipment (both useful and non-useful), eg beakers, funnels, Bunsen, white tiles, cotton wool (fools them into making clouds) - they have to construct a (safe) working water cycle.
    If several groups get one working you can test each one by giving each group a measured amount of water - they have to run their equipment for 5 minutes and then see how much water is left - the group with the most water wins.

16. sorry to harp back to digestion but have followed woozle's suggestion and made a 'small intestine' fron a piece of guttering, glued a smaller tube on the bottom of it ( blood vessel) and drilled holes so that single beads can fall through into the blood and bigger molecules can't. It is fab - wish I could show you a picture.

Must find a new topic to work on now!!

17. A variant on the theme for digestion...
    Get some chicken wire and poppit beads (the sort that pop together to make toy necklaces work well). Explain that enzymes are 'chemical scissors' (or whatever you stock phrase is) that can take apart large molecules for absorption (show linked poppit beads for large molecule). Get pupil up front, they hold up chicken wire (over their face if poss)(this is the gut wall, throw linked beads at this - they do not penetrate. Now show the effect of an enzyme to cut up the large length of food molecule - throw dissembled beads at chicken wire again - some will go through (remember to ask kid to remove wire from near face!)

18. quasi

you're coming up with great ideas

can you think of any other props I should have - technicians will be disappointed if I don't find them weird and wonderful things to do

19. Quasi
    I think my twins discovered this experiment aged 2. Only they used spaghetti and a fireguard
    (both got A* this year)

There are some brilliant ideas on this thread.

20. These are some of my favourite things...
    Deeley boppers/flashing bunny ears - great for doing alien impressions, ie 'tell me earthling, describe this thing you call metal or be disintegrated...ah you say it's heavy - so this wooden table is metal..no you lie DIE SCREAMING CHILD (make raygun sound).

Microfiche - scrounge off a library, one of the best things to teach yr7 etc how to use a microscope, cos' you can see the words when they're in focus.

Rubber duck and small paddling pool - fun to show waves with - throw weight into pool, watch wave, watch duck move up and down - look kiddies energy transfer!

Ur, must go teach, I'll keep thinking on some others. Thoroughly enjoying this thread, let's keep it going