1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making it fun?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Woozle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Are you still doing this? I would love to be involved.

Chris

2. Very exciting - Have any of you heard about this physics competition. Year 12 kids creating safes which lock using physics principles, they then compete in a tournament where they crack into each others safes. They get to see more practical applications of physics and see how fun it is!

www.youtube.com/watch

3. learndirect

learndirect New commenter

Oh no - I don't think the website is working any more :(

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I was lucky enough to start teaching in the Nuffield Science era, mid 70's to mid 80's. Most everything was to be experiential learning in the classroom and pupil orientated - ie fun. The Nuffield organisation which is still going but doesn't seem to be quite the same any more produced a massive amount of classroom activities that were easy to set up and run in class. Have a look in your local teacher training college library for this material.

National curriculum, and the introduction of double science etc. pretty much saw an end to this style of experiential learning.

5. Jigsaw33

Jigsaw33 New commenter

Ooh love this thread! one of my fave lessons is yr8 digestion 'making poo' with potato masher (teeth), various buckets and plastic bags labelled stomach, small intestine etc and botlles of 'enzymes' and 'bile'. I usually mash up a chocolate muffin and a tin of beans and have a 'toilet' bucket at the end. Cue 'uuuurrrggghhhhh' from an excited yr8! Making DNA model with jelly beans is another winner and plasticine, string and straw neurone models with my sixth form is a welcome break from exam questions:)

6. Lipase11

Lipase11 New commenter

Great thread!