1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making it fun?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Woozle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Hi just started to read this string and thought i would add a few things i have tried....

When the students are doing questions on the topic you taught them play a piece of music for each question. Music is a great way to time a piece of work as each track is a certain length...Flight of a bumble bee when kids pack equipment away is always good fun.

For diffusion my bottom set year 8 will remeber it for ever....i got a really nasty can of body spray and aftershave for xmas...I spray loads of it in the corner of the room and get them to put their hands up when they can smell it...it really is nasty stuff the kids moan but they remeber what it is....and if they moan to much i threaten to spray them with it...

A rainmaker from Argos is also fun for demos...it can be used for diffusion and osmosis if you turn it on its side and rotate it. The little ball bearings which you say represent the molecules move from high conc to a low conc...also makes a pretty noise and can also be used as a timer....

2. Can we use the funeral dirge? (sp?)

3. Use a compilation cd of film amd tv themes

mission impossible, stingray, batman, simpsons are good for tidying up or demarcation of time on task ( good phrase that, can you tell I nicked it from a book!)

meditation tapes are good for individual work. Yes, they do moan like mad when you first put it on, but then gently fall quiet and work thoughtfully - well most of them! Santana is quite good for this too, and coldplay isn't bad except I start singing which they don't appreciate.

Just don't be tempted to put on any of their cds; too much swearing (eminem, nickelback) or too awful for my ears (lasgo)

4. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have only just discovered this site and reading these messages has been more useful than many of our department meetings.
    I agree that using film and tv clips are very good. Only today I discussed Homer Simpson trying to reach 300lbs.
    Star Trek is also a good one. Lots of useful clips there!!

5. I have just bought a 'beanie baby' a rainbow coloured Ram. yes I have been teaching relative atomic mass and I got the kids to draw a tiny ram and label it H, one twelve times bigger and label it C and one sixteen times bigger and label it O. After marking the books I felt they might need to know what a Ram is as I had all sorts, Rhinos, stick animals and my favourite three clouds. Ok yes I did say draw a cloud and add legs and a head the crucial part being ADD legs and head.

Another favourite is Cations are pussytively charged (courtesy of chem 4 U) with a picture of cheshire cat or bagpuss to draw into books. It always makes you smile when you mark the books and keeps you sane.

"Miss this isn't art"
    "Yes because if I were an art teacher I'd be able to draw!"

6. I think everyone who reads the 'making it fun' thread should add what gave them the most fun that day (in lessons ,of course!)

We need to keep it at the top and inspire us all.

Since it's sunday I'll start with last week...

...using a magnetic dart board so they determine what score they get for answering questions on a topic. Half the staff have been in to have a go as well. I must say that having small children is a tremendous advantage when it comes to props. Unfortunately they'll notice I've pinched it soon,...and the actionman with a parachute, and the birthday balloons, and etc etc.

7. Two ideas for the pot...
    Survival of the fittest fun -
    Pupils get into 3's/ Two go to ends of a table, where both can reach into the middle. A pencil (representing a dead gazelle as prey or whatever)is put in between each pair on the desk. The third person says 'go' both predators grab for the pen. Best of 3 wins. Winner from each 3 goes up against other pupil around the class. Keep emphasizing the point that unless you get the food you cannot survive/breed etc. The winner plays the teacher (alway worth a giggle). If you think you'll lose then you can suddenly have a mutation (ie your hand is already stuck out over the pencil). I normally play with sweets rather than pencils. This normally take around 10-15 minutes with a group of 30.
    When doing convection (depending on how your lab is set out), say that you are full of hot air,climb nimbly up(!) onto a bench by the heater in your room (or a Bunsen set up for the purpose) leap/walk across the desks to the other side of the room - where you must cool, sink and return via the floor to the Bunsen again - so completing the convection current. (beware of pupils rattling desk, wobbly desks etc!!)

8. I like it, I like it

mental note: must wear outfit tomorrow suitable for leaping onto benches, and to persuade head to give me money for resources - Lara Croft type thing maybe??

9. A fun idea, with I must admit little educational value, to liven up classification lessons.
    Go to a joke shop buy up their rubber insects, snakes, rat etc.
    Have these in your pocket (I have a labcoat with large pockets that is ideal for this)
    Start the lesson with pupils around the front talk about how we can look at animals to classify them blah blah blah - so I've got some here. Throw rubber animals into class. Giggle massively as they scream - when they've calmed down you have their complete attention, and will now be regarded as quite mad.
    PS This worked best with very lifelike rubber cockroaches
    PPS I've also done similar in a reproduction topic where I had a life size doll swaddled underneath the desk 'Ok quiet year 7 now look who I have brought in to show you...' bring 'baby' out carefully - then pick up by ankle - if you're lucky they'll howl with outrage before they catch on.

10. I am going to try the toast and tomato soup idea tomorrow

11. I'm really annoyed that I've done tectonic plates. But here's another one I thought of today. I'm doing fuels with year 9, and will be burning small amounts of fuel. So we're going on a camping trip next week, along with marshmellows I'd love to do sausages aswell, but I think it's a bit too impractical. Oh my husband has given me a new idea... time making toast with the fuels, and just eat the marshmellows!! CAn't wait

12. When I was doing A Level Physics, we were routinely horrible to our teacher (lessons were boring). In a rare fit of inspiration she announced that she would punish us by making us each "teach" on a set topic for 10 minutes in the Friday afternoon lesson. We did this every week for a year, and these pupil-lead sessions were the best and most hilarious thing we ever did. I remember in particular one boy filling a bucket attached to a rope with water and whanging it round his head - thereby disproving several important physical theories!

13. Wow!!!!!

We made it on to the top five threads

Must look like good reading!!

14. Congratulations folks we have actually succeeded in making it fun and getting to top 5 threads keep sharing your ideas and check out the KS2 thread to add support.

Energy from food apart from the ritual burning of twiglets, marshmallows etc try heating potassium chlorate about a 1.5cm in a test tube until it starts releasing oxygen, drop in a skittle and stand back. Wow bright flame, lots of smoke and lovely toffee smell in room. cant take credit for this one as HOD wrote it into SOW but will make up for it by doing it lots as really pretty!!

15. 1012 microphones = 1 megaphone

106 bicycles = 2 megacycles

500 millinaries = 1 seminary

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

10 cards = 1 decacards

1/2 lavatory = 1 demijohn

10¯6 fish = 1 microfiche

454 graham crackers = 1 pound cake

1012 pins = 1 terrapin

1021 picolos = 109 los = 1 gigolo

10 rations = 1 decoration

100 rations = 1 C-ration

10 millipedes = 1 centipede

3 1/3 tridents = 1 decadent

10 monologs = 5 dialogues

5 dialogues = 1 decalogue

2 monograms = 1 diagram

8 nickels = 2 paradigms

2 snake eyes = 1 paradise

2 wharves = 1 paradox

10¯6 phones = 1 microphone

106 phones = 1 megaphone

10¯2 mental = 1 centimental

10¯1 mate = 1 decimate

1012 bulls = 1 terabull

10¯12 boos = 1 picoboo

10¯15 bismol = 1 femtobismol

16. If you sciencey types think some of the above suggested potential disasters - sorry I mean activities - are fun then I seriously suggest that you need to get out more. Get a life!

17. Smigel Smitwick.... Until you've had a class laughing with you, or had some kids come up to you and say that they REALLY enjoyed your lesson, or after you've played a game the kids stop you in the corridor and ask when they'll be playing again....... GO AWAY cos your NOT welcome here

18. Oh please Nigel, since you are obviously superteach, share your wisdom with us. What makes it fun for you??

19. fire writing

dissolve sodium nitrate to make a saturated solution,

use paint brush to write name/draw picture in joined up writing - ie one continuous path, on sugar paper

leave to dry, mark start, then light start with glowing splint and watch name appear as only painted bit burns.

good fun, although need to open lots of windows

courtesy of creative chemistry, this worked a treat!!

20. I don't often wander into this part of the forum as I am primary but I want some help on ideas for science week and after reading the above messages I reckon you are the boys and girls for the job.(except Nigel dickpick ofcourse). So far I have thought of asking a musician to come in for 'sound'(children can make own instruments and try to alter pitch) a falconer to come in to talk about birds, flight etc, and circus act which gets the cildren thinking about forces and balance. So lots of cross-curricular and kinesthetic stuff going on BUT I know mt head is goingto want wonderful displays from everyone so what i want is ideas to combine art and science. i don't want to say 'Just draw a picture of Mr So and So and his Harris Hawk' I want some scientific thinking to be going on whilst the children are involved with paint or clay etc etc. Does that make sense and can anyone help?