1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making it fun?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Woozle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. What interesting, memorable demos/activities do you do to make the point stick?

I teach Food and digestion using Boiled potato, plastic bag, toothpaste and shoe. Hit potato in bag with shoe to demonstrate chewing, talk briefly about peristalsis squeezing a toothpaste tube, add some liquid to the bag to demonstrate gastric juices. Then talk about absorbtion of food before egestion into the bin.

ms-phys suggests 'tights and tennis ball' peristalsis (see 10-min episode thread).
    Please share your ideas the wackier and more revolting the better. I fondly remember my Sci teacher solemnly giving us all a card as we entered the lab with a gene written on it. We were then told to breed with three others in the class and write down our offspring!
    I look forward to reading any suggestions. thanks Woozle

2. What interesting, memorable demos/activities do you do to make the point stick?

I teach Food and digestion using Boiled potato, plastic bag, toothpaste and shoe. Hit potato in bag with shoe to demonstrate chewing, talk briefly about peristalsis squeezing a toothpaste tube, add some liquid to the bag to demonstrate gastric juices. Then talk about absorbtion of food before egestion into the bin.

ms-phys suggests 'tights and tennis ball' peristalsis (see 10-min episode thread).
    Please share your ideas the wackier and more revolting the better. I fondly remember my Sci teacher solemnly giving us all a card as we entered the lab with a gene written on it. We were then told to breed with three others in the class and write down our offspring!
    I look forward to reading any suggestions. thanks Woozle

3. Physical and chemical changes;
    make breakfast in front of the class!!
    fry an egg, burn toast, have some 'gone off' milk for them to smell, ice for your orange juice, butter which you 'accidently' allow to melt by being too near heat etc etc. You can also make tea and add sugar. Good demo, but your lab will smell of burnt toast all day!!

4. Good idea for a string.
    My school I'll try anything to get the pupes to pay attention. I started off digestion by eating catffod with a fork from a tin. Idea pinched fro "Getting the ******* to behave". It is not really catfood but mars bar melted together with jelly. Tastes very nice and certainly got said pupils sitting up. Can lead off from there to what food is made up, test "catfood" for protein, sugar, starch etc to see what it really is.

I have tried other things, like using red and blue balloons to represent oxygen and carbon dioxide, have a pupil sat as lungs, one as heart and one as muscle. Another is the blood and takes balloons to the right places.

Made a model of blood using a coffe jar filled with water = plasma, red connect 4 pieces as red blood cells, white painted conkers as white blood cells and gravel as platelets.

All this of course assumes that kids can understand what the model represents. Y7 last year could not get that green beads in plant cells were not grapes and even thought that I had personally inserted millions of grapes into a piece of real waterweed when they looked at it under the microscope!

5. lots of balls.... the ones for babies ball pools. They sell them in toy aisles of supermarkets and are fun for lots of things. Use a glue gun to join them together as examples of different molecules. They can also be alpha particles, and little polystyrene ones beta particles. Many other uses I'm sure- including putting them down your tights.

6. Thanks folks you are brilliant. Keep the ideas coming. I could really do with help making Electricity interesting. Have tried getting class to be electrons and getting them to move through narrow gaps for resistance. They kind of lost the plot but they were bottom set.
    My head of department uses visking tubing for a demo -partially filled it's flacid and woobles fill it up a bit more, twist the end and it stands to attention. Voila erectile tissue demo.
    I use balls (normally what ever I have confiscated the week before) to demo conduction, convection and radiation of energy particles. Get a kid you trust at the other end and pass, carry or throw balls along. Works well if the balls aren't the really bouncy power balls that were in fasion last year!

7. I know this isn't kineaesthtic, but do take a look at www.furryelephant.com and then buy the cd. Someone else on this forum poo pooed it but I still think it's brilliant, despite having a couple of points which are not relevant at KS3. After looking at the tranfer of energy from cell to component get kids to be electrons carrying smarties from cell to, say bulb. They can eat them after the lesson.

I do like this thread. Any more ideas??

8. Plate tectonics.
    3 tins of tomato soup (magma) dry toast torn into pieces(crust) placed in large dissecting pan whilst class watch. Make small person out of play dough (always kept in cupboard for times of stress as school plasticine really doesn't mold)and stand near plate boundary. Heat the pan with a bunsen under a join and watch the plate start to shake (earthquake) magma then bubbles up through the gap and plates pushed apart. Heat the other side and plates move back together hours of fun! Small play dough person gets burnt alive. i have on occasion christened the model HOD name.

9. KS3 revision - get them to design a board game, make up rules etc, and create at least 60 science questions and answers. Prize for best design, q's etc. Some just adapt Snakes and Ladders, but some are very imaginative.

10. ms phys I have just checkked out 'Furry elephant'. I will be putting it on my departments christmas list. Don't fancy my chances as the budget is really tight. We are no longer allowed to photocopy but will launch an attack and see what happens. Keep the ideas coming please.

11. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Displacment reactions- kids being elements etc give them large card with name of whatever they are, get them into groups of say 6-8 and let them all react with each other

12. Any ideas for a a mental yr 9 class, hibernation, migration etc ??

Thanks

13. Do you want the class to migrate?
    Sorry dodgy sense of humour. No ideas on this as does not play a large role in my sow. However..
    I use glove puppets for preditor prey cycles a crocodile 'Mr Snappy' and a rabbit 'Mr Flopsy'. Croc eats bunnies, bunnies die, ahh croc starves yippee, bunnies have special cuddles and pop increases, more crocs etc. The puppets draw the cycle on the board as each clutches a different board marker. first time scared loopy yr 10 class into stunned silence, top set giggled continuosly but remember the cycle perfectly.

14. Woozle - you are fab - keep up the enthusiasm. Love the fluffy bunnies scenario et al - can lend you the bunny ears if you wish. Moreover, can you infect this whole site to make it fun. Soooooo tired of reading sad, bad, & tired comments. Go for it, woozle, and make it fun

15. I like it Woozle!
    I had to teach a very low ability but small set of y10's about evolution and competition last year. They had no concept of rabbits being wild animals that might be eaten by foxes.
    To try and make it more real i made seals out of little balls of cotton wool, put one each on the benches, told them they were hungry polar bears and needed to start hunting. Enough to go round. Retrieve seals, put just 2 out say that food is now in short supply, "get hunting polar bears" big fight ensues which I tell them is what competition is all about

16. Displacement reactions - cards printed with either metal or salt. Players take turns to place a card and if a metal lands on a salt with which it would react, that player takes the pile of cards. Best played in 3-4s.

Elements bingo - cards printed with symbols, pupils have a periodic table, but it is played at a fast pace so they have to be quick.

17. lots of good stuff like element bingo, quizzes etc at www.sycd.co.uk in the resource contents bit

18. I think you are all brilliant Thanks for sharing the ideas. Please keep them coming and this thread near the top if possible to attract more ideas. I have just got back to my normal self in school after being ill for over four weeks. I knew things were better when one of my yr11 lads announced 'Miss is back to being nuts again, she must be better' decided to take it a sa compliment.

Always teach shadows and images using silly toys current favourite is 'Fred' the little alien type thing from Toy story.

Reproduction - show the kids the opening scene from 'look who's talking' where all the sperm talk to each other and then set them a hwk. 'Journey of the sperm' as cartoon strip insist on captions and science terms. I make a big song and dance about where I will put them in the room and have always had really excellent cartoon's of smiling sperm.

Woozle

19. Try www.quia.com ( kids call it 'queer' I call it 'key-ah') !
    Free 30 day trial lots of interactive quizzes etc which you can edit to make it pertinent to you. It is american so you do need to change things but there are more British teachers using it now.

Also tried doing on-line homeworks, it's interesting to see what time they do homework(if they do it ) but of course it depends how easily they get online access. You can do your own class page so they can look up limks etc.

There is a radioactivity challenge board (two teams compete)at http://www.quia.com/cb/25286.html

lucky dip can be edited to suit those who can't answer science q's!!??!!

20. Just read my last post and it sounds like I'm selling it!! - I'm not but it is worth a try, honest.