1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making instruments from scrap materials

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Mar 8, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has ever done this project with a class? I need to make stringed instruments with my Y3s and am thinking of doing it using elastic bands and milk cartons/shoe boxes/tins etc. I need to have enough resources for 30 children to make their instruments and have to find these resources myself!! Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is there any particular good ways you have found for running this lesson? What resources did you use?

Thanks,

Shane

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

3. Hi,
    I raided the nursery for supplies and asked the children to bring in cardboard breakfast boxes and so on then raided the school office for elastic bands etc ( I will totally deny any of this!) I then went through the objective, gave some examples then dumped all the stuff on a table and let them get on with it.

Results were fantastic :)

4. inq

inq

Get children to brink in boxes etc from home. If you have to buy your own equipment the 99p shops round here do enormous mixed bags of elastic bands (for 99p!).

5. Get children to bring stuff in which they were going to throw out such as tissue boxes which make for good guitars. You could capitalise on idea of reusing it. Well, work up to it with doing designs and thinking of what they will use where. Listen to some stomp clips and talk about what they use. Make the instruments and perform.

6. I actually remember doing this in year 3. We were shown some examples (google will be your best friend here) and had to plan out individually what our musical instrument would look like and what materials we would use. We had to bring the majority of it in ourselves, except elastic bands and pva glue of course! I made a cereal box guitar! I still remember that lesson to this day, so it must be a good idea ;) Then get them set up as a mini orchestra and creating a song :)

7. Papier mache over the box to strengthen it otherwise it's difficult to attach the 'strings' without the box ripping. Also paint, then allow to dry thoroughly before attaching strings (same reason). It's a great 'design and make' - kids always love it. Enjoy!