1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making ice cream

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I don't have an ice cream maker and I really can't be bothered with the freezing/beating process - I am sure that I have seen a method for making ice cream that requires neither but can't find it. Can anyone help? I want to make blackberry ice cream and plum ice cream ( or even blackberry and plum ice cream).
    How long can you keep home made ice cream by the way?

2. I don't have an ice cream maker and I really can't be bothered with the freezing/beating process - I am sure that I have seen a method for making ice cream that requires neither but can't find it. Can anyone help? I want to make blackberry ice cream and plum ice cream ( or even blackberry and plum ice cream).
    How long can you keep home made ice cream by the way?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

chill then whisk together Elmlea Whippng cream and evaporated milk OR ready-made custard from a tin - both work!
    (sounds disgusting I know but taste fine)

or... add sweetened puree to plain yoghurt and freeze.

4. The evaporated milk method rings a bell.
    Can the yoghurt be fat-free?

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I don't know.
    I use Sainsburys basics for ice cream.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

7. Clever you for finding that EG - I imagine I could add fruit puree to the basic mixture - might even add a slug of creme de mures!
    ! shan't, unfortunately, be eating it......[​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

If you add the fruit puree, then surely it would count as one of your five a day?
    I think you need to brush up on your knowledge of the Lapin book of nutrition!

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

Listening to Womans Hour last week (oh, don't you just love the holidays) I heard an item on 'Cook the perfect....ice cream. It was a very simple, no churn, recipe and you can find it on the Radio 4 - Womans Hour - website, along with lots of other 'Cook the perfect..... recipes.

10. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I had this link saved about making ice cream in a bag. If I recal rightly, I was pointed to it on here but I can't remember who by, sorry!
    http://2littlehooligans.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-make-homemade-ice-cream-in.html

11. Me! Thread's called making food in unusual ways - or something similar! I had it posted on fb!
    I tried it, and it really does work!
    But I do the freezing beating thing, no real faff and makes nice ice cream!

12. I decided I was just being lazy and made some blackberry ice cream using the beating/freezing method and it was delicious. The recipe said to beat it only once during the process but twice would have been better as it was a bit crystal-ly. I'm going to make some plum ice cream this evening trying the custard base method. Will let you know how it turns out.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds amazing Cosmos. I've been given a glut of plums by my auntie (my tree had just the one plum and mini-belle fed it to the chickens!).
    I shall give it a whirl as they say!

14. I add fruit puree - strawberries this year owing to a glut - to whipped double cream and condensed milk Then into a container and into the freezer, job done. Works every time.

jgg

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our local ice cream shop makes a damson and sloe gin ice cream. It's a fantastic combination.