1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making GCSE 'bones' lesson interesting

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by machadingding, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I'm hoping to pick the brains of people with more experience! I'm doing a lesson on the skeletal system for a chatty, but pretty tidy, year 10 pe gcse class.

Have to go through what comprises bones
    Naming the bones
    Functions of the skeletal system
    etc

Any ideas how to make it more interesting than just a powerpoint?
    Was thinking of using post it notes, and getting them to work in groups of 5 to identify then stick labels on a pupils body.

Thank you for any other ideas

2. I don't suppose your science department has a full size skeleton in a cupboard anywhere have they? That's always a good way to visualise all the bones and lead onto the functions of the skeletal system.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

get them to make up mnemonics (sp?) to remember things or unusual ways/phrases/ideas. E.g carpels. - a carp is a fish - fish fingers-fingers. T for Tarsels, T for toes, the stern of a ship is at the back, the stern(um) of a human is at the front etc etc
    get a life sized cardboard cutout skeleton (make one up) with the names of the relevant bones written on them. Take it apart, get the kids to put it back together.
    Ditto the above, but keep the bones and names separate too.

4. That's the one. Get them in groups of four or so, scissors, card and those funny pins that spread out once you've pushed them through the card. See who can make the best one. You'll have a room with 6 skeletons all 'showing the bones'.
    And an extra rib for the women - and a bubble coming out of their mouths moaning and griping about something or other...

5. ..and you can point out on their skeletons where they are likely to sustain breakages etc from falling 20 feet from a wall bar...
    ...while playing Pirates!
    [​IMG]