1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making garlic chicken kievs?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by uppereastside, Mar 3, 2012.

1. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

Hello! I am a very novice cook and would like some tips/help from you!
    I am attempting to make garlic chicken kievs tonight for the first time. Does anyone have any tips? Possibly the best way to keep the garlic in the chicken without it all coming out in the cooking?
    Also what to have with it? I was thinking veg and potato wedges?
    Thank you clever cookery people!

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Welcome to Cookery!
    When I make my garlic butter, I form it into a sausage-type shape, wrap in cling film and set it in the fridge. Then, when you stuff your chicken you can place 1 or 2 slices of this sausage into your chicken breast (its important not to cut all the way through the chicken when you do this - just make a little pocket in the thickest part of the chicken breast and stuff the garlic butter into this...also helps if you flatten the chicken breast slightly with your hand when you've stuffed it). Then, when you do the flour, egg and breadcrumb to coat it, do this twice and then chill for at least an hour before you want to cook this.
    Think that is all my tips...
    Veg and potato wedges sounds a good accompaniment to me! You won't need a sauce as you'll have all of that lovely garlicky butter. Mmmm....

3. uppereastside

Thanks for the advice! So do you mean coat it in egg, flour and breadcrumbs then put it in the fridge for a bit and then coat it again in egg, flour and breadcrumbs? Thanks!

4. egyptgirl

Coat it in flour, egg and breadcrumbs then repeat then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

TBH I am a very experienced cook and I wouldn't bother making homemade kievs. You should cut the breasts from a whole bird, keeping the first wing bone attached. Then carefully open a pocket in the breast, fill with VERY cold garlic butter and the trick is sealing it when you egg and crumb the breasts. You then need to chill again. IMHO it's not something for the novice cook and even for an experienced cook it's just not worth the bother............go to M&S!
    Having said that, I hope you have some success and welcome to cookery. We're a lovely bunch of peeps and someone will always have an answer for you (even if I did rain on your parade.....sorry [​IMG])

6. uppereastside

Too late-they are in the oven and tbh I they wern't really tricky at all. But saying that I havn't tasted them yet!

7. egyptgirl

Sorry Belle, but I totally disagree. Whenever I've had mass-produced chicken kievs they've been totally bland and have tasted as far removed from chicken as you can get.

8. How were the kievs, uppereastside?? I'm dying to know!
    (bet they were fab)

9. uppereastside

Hi! They were very nice thanks! I cooked them for my Mum and she said you could tell they were made from chicken from the butchers and not just bought so that's a relief!! But very pleased with myself and made melt in the middle choc pud for pudding so feel nice and full now! Now for ideas of something nice to cook next...

10. Well done you!
    I think you should try this next (if lamb is okay with you and your mum) - it's definitely got the 'wow' factor and it's very easy.
    <u>Sweet Spiced Lamb</u>
    Hands-on time: 15min; cooking time: around 2hr; serves 4
    • 1.5tbsp olive oil
    • 700g lamb neck fillet, cut into thick rounds
    • 1 large Spanish onion, roughly chopped
    • 1 large sweet potato, cut into large chunks
    • 5cm piece fresh root ginger, finely grated
    • 2tbsp mild curry paste
    • 1tbsp ground paprika
    • 150ml white wine
    • 400g can chopped tomatoes
    • 3tbsp mango chutney
    • 100g baby spinach leaves
    1. Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan oven), gas mark 3. Heat the oil in a shallow, ovenproof casserole over a medium heat and fry the lamb for 6-8min until browned on all sides. Remove from the casserole and set aside.
    2. Add the onion, sweet potato and ginger and fry in the lamb juices for 4-5min until the onion is golden - add a little water if it starts to stick. Stir in the curry paste and paprika and fry for 1min, then return the lamb to the casserole.
    3. Add the wine, tomatoes, chutney and 150ml water. Bring to the boil, season and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook in the oven for 1.5hr or until the lamb is meltingly tender.
    4. Stir in the baby spinach just before serving.
    470cals, 23g fat (of which 8g saturates), 25g carbs per serving
    <u>Tips</u>
    This uses neck fillet of lamb, which needs long, slow cooking - not to be confused with fillet, which cooks in minutes and will become tough as old boots if left in the oven for too long.
    Brown the meat and veg well. The better the colour, the better the flavour of the finished dish
    Good luck with your next culinary endeavour! :)

11. uppereastside

Nope, I eat pretty much anything! Aslong as it's not too spicy. Thanks for the recipe, that looks nice, will def give it a try and let you know how it goes! Although not sure if this is a stupid question, but what is a Spanish onion?!

12. Definitely not too spicy (I used Barts red Thai curry paste).
    A Spanish onion is just a big, white onion. Tends to be a bit sweeter that your average, common or garden white onion.
    Don't worry - just use any old big white onion (or two smaller ones). :)

13. BelleDuJour

Excellent. I still wouldn't bother myself TBH but we eat don't eat kievs very often so M&S are fine (or Fortnum's [​IMG])
    Manashee's lamb recipe looks great!

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think I would probably just pan-fry the chicken and pour garlic butter over it: deep frying is not my fort (as Belle witnessed last night) and I'm not that keen on stuff which has been crumbed.
    As to bought Kievs - you would need to find ones which are a whole breast (as are M&S I believe) rather than minced and reformed.
    Do I remember "Jimmy" doing an experiment with Kievs last year? the year before?

15. BelleDuJour

It wasn't you H......must have been the mixture but it was deelish and the samosas were just perfect!

16. uppereastside

So, I'm going to attempt to make this for mothers day! Just a quick question manashee, did you serve this with anything? And is it like a sweet lamb tagine this? Plus- ideas for a light pudding would be appreciated! Thanks!

17. This is my fall-back recipe for a quick and light dessert...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4362/lemon-mousse

(I can't work out how to do links on chrome so you will have to cut and paste).

It is really quick to make and then you just pop it into the fridge whilst you are getting on with the rest. I don't use double cream (as we can't get it here), I just slightly whip up some single cream (which also makes it even lighter!).

I have cooked manashee's lamb dish a few times - I tend to serve it with couscous, but you could easily also serve it with rice, or even just on its own. Make a nice fresh green salad to go with it, too.

18. egyptgirl

I agree that couscous or maybe a bulgur pilaff would be a good idea with a fresh salad or some stirfried green vegetables. You don't want a pudding that is too much with that as a main course so I agree with CQ that lemon would be good - what about a syllabub? Very easy and you could buy some little almond or ginger biscuits to serve with them!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4406/lemon-syllabub

19. Dear uppereastside, I'm so sorry I missed your post and didn't reply in time. Thank goodness for CQ & EG though, who rode to your rescue!
    Couscous and rice go well with the lamb dish, but we've also had it with boiled new potatoes. Or just on its own is fine too.
    Hope it went well!