1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making friends on TES- Year 1/KS1/Early Years

Discussion in 'Primary' started by em1981, Aug 21, 2008.

1. I am moving to year 2 this year after teaching for a year in Y1. Previously I have never taught below Y3 so this has been a steep learning curve. Out of my comfort zone but surprised by how much I enjoyed y1. We teach QCA schemes (sadly) and came from a school which had embarked upon a more creative curriculum. Don't like QCA but my hands are tied at the mo. Happy to share ideas etc...

2. iceni

iceni New commenter

I taught Y6 and KS2 for 7 years before being dumped into Y1. Was the steepest learning curve I have ever encountered! Love them now though!

Taught Y1 for 2 years, now will be co-ordinating KS1 at a new school.

Play based curriculum scares me to death but this year I have had help to instigate just that in my new Y1 class.

Lucky to have an expert friend just down the road, an outside area slowly being adapted according to need and a fab site manager, married to my TA who is doing wonders helping to turn a defunct room into my fab classroom. So sad I even have photos of the ongoing work on my facebook!

The more friends in the same boat the merrier - count me in!

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

How do you teach these topic - what links do you make - lit, num, sc, his,etc .....

*<u>London</u> - <u>hist</u> - the great fire of london, <u>geog</u> - our local environment vs london, <u>d&t</u> - making vehicles (to carry water to the fire), <u>sc</u> - pushes & pull (making a transport to carry the water up the hill, <u>lit</u> -instructions for making bread, fire of london diary recount <u>num</u> - capacity,
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*All about me/Ourselves</font></font>
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">* Winter wonderland</font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*At the top of the beanstalk</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Crash, Bang, Wallop</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Fairground fun</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*The Ugly Bug Ball</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Houses and Homes</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Toys</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Playgrounds</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Healthy Living</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Healthy Eating</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Seasides</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Celebrations</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Victorians</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*On the Move</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Around our School</font></font>
    *Joseph's Coat

4. Hi - would love to make friends and trade ideas with fellow ks1ers. I have taught in Y1 for 4 years on and off, in between stints in YR, Y3, Y4 and Y6. Only need Y2 and Y5 for the full set now!!! Have just been made assistant head (OMG - what were they thinking?!!) so would really appreciate other people's views on how they organise things, particulary re skills based stuff.

Our topics are also on a 2 year prog in KS1

This year:

Homes, Growth, Near and Far

Next Year:

People, Changes, Out and About

We are trying this year to break the topics down a bit more and do 'weeks' incorporated into them e.g. firework week, science week, maths week, art week as the topics can drag on a bit if the term is really long (and they all seem really long to me!)

5. <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">All about me. Main focus is Science- healthy eating and growing up. Links to PE, History and Citizenship</font></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Winter wonderland- Main Focus is Art and RE- festivals and celebrations. Links to ICT and science</font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">At the top of the beanstalk- Main focus is Literacy- traditional tales. Links to Numeracy and DT</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Crash, Bang, Wallop- Main focus is Music- study of a musician. Links to History and Geography</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Fairground fun- Main focus is DT- designing and making own fairground. Links to music, DT and numeracy</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The Ugly Bug Ball- Main focus is Science- habitats and minibeasts. Links to PE</font></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font>

We aim to teach the topics in a coss curricular way and we will not be teaching all subjects exclusively throughout the topics. We will concentrate on the major and minor focuses which are listed above. We feel that we have a balance of all subjects throughout the year and things like PE and RE will be taught every term. We will see how it goes in September- its all trial and error at the moment!!

6. Oh forgot to say the following year we have more of the minor subjects as major ones such as History and Geography[​IMG]

7. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I agree about the trial and error! i think the main thing i want to get in my topic planning is literacy,but i'm still getting to grips with the new framework. because of timetabling i will have to teach most topics through literacy - is this how other people do it? </font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*<u>London</u> - <u>hist</u> - the great fire of london, <u>geog</u> - our local environment vs london, <u>d&t</u> - making vehicles (to carry water to the fire), <u>sc</u> - pushes & pull (making a transport to carry the water up the hill, <u>lit</u> -instructions for making bread, fire of london diary recount <u>num</u> - capacity, </font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*All about me/Ourselves/Healthy Living /Healthy Eating - Main focus is Science- healthy eating and growing up. Links to PE, History and Citizenship</font></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">* Winter wonderland - Main Focus is Art and RE- festivals and celebrations. Links to ICT and science</font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*At the top of the beanstalk - Main focus is Literacy- traditional tales. Links to Numeracy and DT</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Crash, Bang, Wallop - Main focus is Music- study of a musician. Links to History and Geography</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Fairground fun - Main focus is DT- designing and making own fairground. Links to music, DT and numeracy</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*The Ugly Bug Ball - Main focus is Science- habitats and minibeasts. Links to PE</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Houses and Homes </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Toys</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Playgrounds</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Seasides</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Celebrations</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Victorians</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*On the Move</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Around our School</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Joseph's Coat</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Homes</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Growth</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Near and Far</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*People</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Changes</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Out and About</font></font>

8. we're moving into a new creative curriculum and are given the subjects & objectives we have to cover then its up to us what we do! me and the y1/2 teacher have planned for a buildings topic this term for art, history, geography and dt. we brainstormed then put the lessons into the order they 'flowed' so fingers crossed it will go well.

i love the new play based curriculum for y1, have been doing this for a few years, much to the annoyance of other teachers but the kids respond much better and a course i went on recently reminded me that some of the kids might not be 6 till august (when i went back to school i checked & over half has june, july, aug birthdays!)

i do more playbased through transition in 1st term then decide whether the kids still need it & continue or phase it out. i use CP through the year tho because its much more interesting for the children!

9. Last year in year 1 we did... Toys, Let there be light, Ourselves, India, Dinosaurs and Where we live.
    The topics we are probably doing in year 2 are... How we work, Fire, Carnival, Famous people, Global gardens, Seas and oceans.

We also do a lot of 'weeks' and have done some bigger and mini performances at the end of the topics.

Is anyone else having issues with friend requesting? I have had a message from someone in my email to find a request from someone else! I'm also having trouble requesting some friends. Grrrr!

10. I'm having LOADS of trouble with this. My email address is showing people have sent me friend requests but this site isn't letting me accept them!! Also whenever someone has sent me a message, it always seems to be blank. Perhaps there are some teething problems...

My topic for the first term was supposed to be the local area (yes for the WHOLE first term!) I managed to change it to 'the local jungle' as I was desperate for a jungle role play area and I can use lots of jungle texts in Literacy and use the local area in a creative 'where the wild things are' kind of way. My Jungle role play area is looking fab! I think I will enjoy it in KS1 once I get over my terror!

11. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">This is as much as I can think of at the mo - I don't have my topic folder at home I am afraid! </font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Houses and Homes - <u>Hist</u> - houses from the past, <u>Geog</u> - types of houses, looking at local env, <u>Sc</u> - materials & their uses, <u>DT</u> - making houses, <u>ICT</u> - labelling and writing sentences (with houses), <u>Maths</u> - shape, <u>Lit</u> - labelling etc. Nonfiction writing, <u>Role Play</u> - Estate Agents, <u>Trip</u> - stately home</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Toys (small topic due to Christmas) - <u>Hist</u> - toys now and then, <u>ICT</u> - control toys, <u>Sc</u> - electricity/sound/light, <u>Role Play</u> - Toy shop</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Playgrounds - <u>Sc</u> - Forces, <u>DT</u> - design & make a playground on a shoe box lid, <u>ICT</u> - create a powerpoint with photos taken of local park, <u>Geog</u> - attractive/unattractive, surveying local parks, maps - routes to parks, <u>Role Play</u> - playground designers, <u>Trip</u> - walks to local parks</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Healthy Living - <u>Sc</u> - parts of body, muscles, exercising, <u>PSHE</u> - drugs, smoking etc., <u>Lit</u> - Instructions (we have a children's gym in our entrance hall), <u>Geog</u> - leisure, <u>ICT</u> - internet - Welltown etc., <u>Role Play</u> - Doctors</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Healthy Eating - <u>Sc</u> - food groups, balanced diet, <u>PSHE </u>- healthy/not as healthy food, <u>Geog</u> - food from around the world/food journeys, <u>ICT</u> - sorting, graphing food, <u>DT</u> - design healthy pizza/fruit salad, <u>Role Play</u> - Doctors</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Seasides - <u>Sc</u> - animals in the environment, <u>Hist</u> - seaside holidays in the past, <u>Geog</u> - maps of seaside (seaside trip), land use at seaside, <u>ICT</u> - creating seaside pictures, <u>Art</u> - Modroc creatures, <u>Role Play</u> - Seaside Cafe, <u>Trip</u> - local seaside</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Ourselves - <u>Sc</u> - body & body functions, growth, <u>Hist</u> - family history, <u>Geog</u> - route to home, address, <u>Art</u> - Van Gog, Picasso, Self Portraits, <u>ICT</u> - creating pictures - self portraits, <u>PSHE</u> - belonging, <u>Role Play</u> - Artist Studio</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Celebrations - <u>Sc</u> - light and sound, <u>Hist</u> - weddings in the past, Guy fawkes, <u>RE</u> - various celebrations from different religions, <u>Lit</u> - Cinderella (trad tales), <u>ICT</u> - electonic texts/writing - trad tales, <u>Role Play</u> - Card shop, <u>Trip</u> - Cathedral to celebrate Christmas</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Victorians - <u>Sc</u> - Electricity, <u>Hist</u> - Victorian life, famous people, <u>Lit</u> - information texts, <u>ICT</u> - internet - website on Victorian houses/famous people, <u>DT</u> - cross stitch (mother's day card), <u>Role Play</u> - Victorian school, <u>Trip/Visitor</u> - Victorian clasroom reconstruction (History off the Page)</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*On the Move - <u>Sc</u> - Forces, <u>Geog</u> - travelling around the world, <u>ICT</u> - Control toys, <u>DT</u> - design and make vehicles, Lit - nonchronolgical reports, <u>Role Play</u> - travel agents, <u>Trip/Visitors</u> - Nene Valley Railway / various vehicles visiting school</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Around our School - <u>Sc</u> - Plants and Animals, habitats, <u>Geog</u> - surveying, attractive, not attractive, maps, routes, <u>Art</u> - press print in the style of Andy Warhol, <u>Lit</u> - animal related poetry, <u>Role Play</u> - Garden Centre, <u>Trips/Visitors</u> - Local environmental park/egg hatching/butterfly growth</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Joseph's Coat - <u>RE</u> - Joseph, <u>DT</u> - design and make Joseph's coat</font>

12. I was thinking (and talking with iceni) and we said that although we have added this thread it might be nice of we had a space. I was thinking of either a yahoo or wikispace group. Have just tried to set up a Yahoo one but it isnt working at the moment so will have a look at how eays it is to set up a wikispace. Otherwise we could form a group on facebook? Any ideas? x

13. Hi - I'm a year one teacher who has been off work for a year and is just returning - it's all a bit scary so friends would be lovely!

My topics for this year are This is your life; The house that we built; and Up, up and away. We are developing our own curriculum - I have the objectives I need to achieve and it's up to me how I'll do it so those topic titles could change + I will introduce mini topics and special days if I feel they are needed.

I know I'm quite abnormal in that I love planning new topics - when I get started...I just need someone to kick me up the bum!

14. Okay everyone

I have set up this wikispace for us to use for now- will see how it goes!

http://tesks1earlyyearsgroup.wikispaces.com/

All I have added so far is a medium term plan but it should help us all to access one space where we can add documents to share!

Wooooo am getting excited about a wikispace hehe!!

Emma x

15. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

i don't know how to add to wikispace, can you add this but make it available for people to add to?

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*<u>London</u> - <u>hist</u> - the great fire of london, <u>geog</u> - our local environment vs london, <u>d&t</u> - making vehicles (to carry water to the fire), <u>sc</u> - pushes & pull (making a transport to carry the water up the hill, <u>lit</u> -instructions for making bread, fire of london diary recount <u>num</u> - capacity, </font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*All about me/Ourselves/Healthy Living /Healthy Eating/This is your life - Main focus is Science- healthy eating and growing up. Links to PE, History and Citizenship <u>Sc</u> - body & body functions, growth, <u>Hist</u> - family history, <u>Geog</u> - route to home, address, <u>Art</u> - Van Gog, Picasso, Self Portraits, <u>ICT</u> - creating pictures - self portraits, <u>PSHE</u> - belonging, <u>Role Play</u> - Artist Studio</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Healthy Living - <u>Sc</u> - parts of body, muscles, exercising, <u>PSHE</u> - drugs, smoking etc., <u>Lit</u> - Instructions (we have a children's gym in our entrance hall), <u>Geog</u> - leisure, <u>ICT</u> - internet - Welltown etc., <u>Role Play</u> - Doctors</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Healthy Eating - <u>Sc</u> - food groups, balanced diet, <u>PSHE </u>- healthy/not as healthy food, <u>Geog</u> - food from around the world/food journeys, <u>ICT</u> - sorting, graphing food, <u>DT</u> - design healthy pizza/fruit salad, <u>Role Play</u> - Doctors</font></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">* Winter wonderland - Main Focus is Art and RE- festivals and celebrations. Links to ICT and science</font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*At the top of the beanstalk - Main focus is Literacy- traditional tales. Links to Numeracy and DT</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Crash, Bang, Wallop - Main focus is Music- study of a musician. Links to History and Geography</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Fairground fun/Carnival - Main focus is DT- designing and making own fairground. Links to music, DT and numeracy</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*The Ugly Bug Ball - Main focus is Science- habitats and minibeasts. Links to PE</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Houses and Homes/The house that we built /Knock Knock (houses now and in past, Victorians, electricity - <u>Hist</u> - houses from the past, <u>Geog</u> - types of houses, looking at local env, <u>Sc</u> - materials & their uses, <u>DT</u> - making houses, <u>ICT</u> - labelling and writing sentences (with houses), <u>Maths</u> - shape, <u>Lit</u> - labelling etc. Nonfiction writing, <u>Role Play</u> - Estate Agents, <u>Trip</u> - stately home</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Toys (small topic due to Christmas) - <u>Hist</u> - toys now and then, <u>ICT</u> - control toys, <u>Sc</u> - electricity/sound/light, <u>Role Play</u> - Toy shop</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Playgrounds - <u>Sc</u> - Forces, <u>DT</u> - design & make a playground on a shoe box lid, <u>ICT</u> - create a powerpoint with photos taken of local park, <u>Geog</u> - attractive/unattractive, surveying local parks, maps - routes to parks, <u>Role Play</u> - playground designers, <u>Trip</u> - walks to local parks</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*SeasidesBeside the sea /Lighthouse keeper's lunch you could fit forces into that by making pulleys across the classroom hope this helps just don't ask me how to make pulleys - seaside holidays in the past, islands, lighthouses, katie morag - <u>Sc</u> - animals in the environment, <u>Hist</u> - seaside holidays in the past, <u>Geog</u> - maps of seaside (seaside trip), land use at seaside, <u>ICT</u> - creating seaside pictures, <u>Art</u> - Modroc creatures, <u>Role Play</u> - Seaside Cafe, <u>Trip</u> - local seaside </font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Celebrations - <u>Sc</u> - light and sound, <u>Hist</u> - weddings in the past, Guy fawkes, <u>RE</u> - various celebrations from different religions, <u>Lit</u> - Cinderella (trad tales), <u>ICT</u> - electonic texts/writing - trad tales, <u>Role Play</u> - Card shop, <u>Trip</u> - Cathedral to celebrate Christmas</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Victorians - <u>Sc</u> - Electricity, <u>Hist</u> - Victorian life, famous people, <u>Lit</u> - information texts, <u>ICT</u> - internet - website on Victorian houses/famous people, <u>DT</u> - cross stitch (mother's day card), <u>Role Play</u> - Victorian school, <u>Trip/Visitor</u> - Victorian clasroom reconstruction (History off the Page)</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*On the Move - <u>Sc</u> - Forces, <u>Geog</u> - travelling around the world, <u>ICT</u> - Control toys, <u>DT</u> - design and make vehicles, Lit - nonchronolgical reports, <u>Role Play</u> - travel agents, <u>Trip/Visitors</u> - Nene Valley Railway / various vehicles visiting school</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">* Where we live/local area/ Around our School /Our environment

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Near and Far, space topic - looking a neil armstrong, space poems, food in space non fiction etc. including our locality, maps, postcards etc and space (they LOVE this), we do lots of role play, non-fiction work and lots of art and DT - papier mache planets,

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">*Roald Dahl (also goes down very well in the summer term) James and the Giant Peach for imaginative writing, Cezanne inspired art, lots of science on plants and minibeasts, Georges Marvellous Medicine for instructions/ recipes, PSHE and science on drugs, The Twits - DT project making their upside down house and Cahrlie and the Chocolate Factory - designing and making chocolate bars, where chocolate comes from etc</font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">* amazing animals - using the rudyard kipling books and focusing on africa animals and looking at africa

singing in the rain - a huge music link, but looking at types of weather, information texts etc</font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Joseph's Coat - <u>RE</u> - Joseph, <u>DT</u> - design and make Joseph's coat</font></font>
    <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Growth</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*People</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Changes</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Out and About</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Let there be light</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*India</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Dinosaurs</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*How we work</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Famous people</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Global gardens</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Seas and oceans./Under the sea</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">* The local jungle</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Up, up and away</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font>

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*Wizard of Oz,</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">*The Jolly Postman</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font>

16. Yes anyone in the group can add to it!

17. Right have managed to add a yahoo group which I feel more comfortable with so here is the link! It is empty at the moment!! I will start adding things asap.

If you would like to join leave your email here!!

or click on the link

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/tesks1earlyyears/

18. Hi, can I join and make friends even though I am not qualified yet?! I have been working as a TA in EY and KS1 for 6 years, but I have taken the big step of embarking on the GTP. I will be training in Nursery and Foundation 2 and would love to make friends with all of you!!

Daisy. xx

19. Welcome Daisy.

Leave your email address and I will invite to the group! x