1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making fake urine

Discussion in 'Science' started by Roboteer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

Hi All,
    I am running a CSI type day later on in the year (secondary school based) and am thinking of including some kind of urine test as one of our practicals.
    Has anybody got experience of doing such things previously? I have tried googling but am just coming up with myriad methods to ensure I pass a drugs test!
    Thoughts I have had so far is that I might be able to add either glucose or protein to my samples and test for those or alternatively play around with the pH and make the different colours represent the presence of different drugs.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. As a technician I made fake urine on many an occasion.
    Yellow food colouring is great - you can make it deep "morning pee" or nice pale "daytime pee", as well as adding a little glucose to show up on a clinistix or some albumin powderto show up as protein.
    We used to have great fun - warming it in the microwave and even labelling it on occasion - so kids could "spot the diabetic technician"!

See what testing strips you have in stock or can get hold of easily. You can always make up fake colour charts to "identify different drugs" depending on the additive.

3. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

exactly what i have done in the past. we also added amonia to one so that it smelt

4. I am a technician and when I make urine for the glucose test I proceed as follows...I make three samples of urine 1) No glucose 2) Borderline glucose. For diastix about 0.25 % 3) Severe ( a lot of glucose - usually just throw a few spatulas in about around 5% ) . For colour I use diet cola ( about 10 - 15 ml for 250ml urine.) If you want to show a trace or borderline check the results are OK for whatever test you are going to use i.e. you may need to vary the suggested 0.25% figure above.
    I label these with 3 fictitious names, in alphabetical order of glucose ( so teachers can tell which is which) e.g. Adam ( no glocose) Dave ( borderline) & Sue ( high glucose )

An alternative to cola for colour is black tea.

5. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

"An alternative to cola for colour is black tea." Blimey, what do these patients have? Blackwater fever or heamorragic virus?
    We used basic orange juice cordial diluted down and then the no added sugar for the normal.

6. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

Love the idea of blackwater fever! If you're going down the medical route and have students who guess the diabetes quickly, how about a spot of red food colouring to give the merest hint of pink + albumen = blood in the urine and perhaps a UTI or kidney infection or b) mildly pink wee + no albumen for someone who has recently eaten a lot of beetroot - beeturia. A nice hint of fluorescein might indicate someone who has been taking a B vitamin complex eg found in multivitamins such as Menopace or Pregnacare.

7. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

And for testing your students' powers of observation, if you have enough panache and sleight of hand to carry this one off, describe how doctors in the olden days would smell and actually taste urine to help them make a diagnosis. Holding one of your samples up, dip your middle finger in the sample and then "taste" the index finger - see how many believe you've just tasted the sample and how many notice what you actually did, you might have to clear this with your HoD first in case this might encourage students to contravene your health and safety regs.

8. If you want to make an "ornamental sample" marmite and dilute orange mixed together makes an awfully pungent concoction.

9. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

Thank you all for the range of suggestions. I shall squirrel these ideas away for a few weeks time. Just pondering who to have as my murder victim now!

10. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

For pity's sake do not get him shot in front of the school which was one clever idea about three years back by one school!
    Another had him lying on the floor of his office visible to the pupils ( primary I might add) undertaking the exercise as they came in but also pupils from lower down in the school who were traumatised beyond belief!
    Oh and how did you get a urine sample from the corpse? Natural effect and from the stained trousers?

11. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Don't take drugs. Or use somebody else's sample. Next.

12. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I don't think I'll be bumping off any actual members of staff. Perhaps a Resusci-Annie with a Justin Bieber mask attached!
    I was thinking of incorporating the urine sample either as you suggested Goat (on the clothes) or from a rather nasty perpetrator who might have urinated against the wall on their way out! Having analysed plenty of urine samples from corpses in real life (in a previous job) I know that whatever I give them will never be as nasty as the real thing!