1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making extra money - what do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Dec 31, 2010.

1. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I've been considering this option recently. I have big travel plans and need to save save save! I'm a little bit apprehensive about not getting a kid through the test when parents are paying £20 or more an hour!

2. It may not help too much, but i am a musician, so get some extra pennies playing in orchestras for musicals that are staged in the local theatres. Totally different to work & great fun too.
    A few years ago i worked on the 'relief' team at a residential school/home for pupils with ASD (sorry, ASC now!). Was a fabulous job, and the money wasnt too bad at all. As part of it i recieved loads of training in the area which was really useful in the classroom too.

3. I tutor - this year with supply being diabolical it's kept my grocery shopping going on more than one occasion. I charge between £15 and £20 an hour and do no more than 2 kids an evening with a max of about 4 kids before the planning gets to be more than I want to be taking on.

4. You can only do your best. If you're tutoring a child and you know there's no way they'll get through you have to be honest with the parents. I know this happened with a child in my class a couple of years ago and the parents kept the tutor to try and bring the child's maths ability up, but knew she wasn't going to ever pass the 11+. As long as you are honest the parents can't complain!

5. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Thanks starfish. Happy new year.