1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making clothes from recycled materials

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 5, 2011.

1. I'm hoping someone on here can advise me. I'm on placement with a year 5 class and tomorrow I'm meant to be teaching them techniques they can use when they are making clothes from recycled materials. I have been told to spend two lessons doing this, before the children start to come up with designs etc. I'm not sure what to demonstrate. The teacher only suggested weaving with plastic bags or putting them in the oven. Can anyone help please? I'm teaching this tomorrow.

2. I wish I had known I was teaching this sooner and then I could have done something with old clothes. I'll be able to bring in clothes next week but can anyone suggest how I can fill an hour's lesson tomorrow please?

3. I think you can only to teach the children how to choose the good materials to make the best dress.

4. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Twisting, tying, plaiting, lacing, glueing, sellotaping - why don't you get them to try these out on plastic bags - what can they devise that works? You will need lots of plastic bags, scissors, glue and sellotape. Can they design a button hole that works? Challenge them to make a 'button' out of a plastic bag (you could give them elastic bands if you are feeling kind!)
    I have had great fun with KS2 making clothes from plastic bags - they work in groups and have to come up with own designs etc. Only allowed sellotape, scissors and plastic bags for it. Every time I have done this, the children have been hugely inventive.
    There is a very good web clip (on You tube I think - sorry I can't remember the link) showing plastic bags being recycled and knitted into tote bags in somewhere like Ghana (a women's cooperative makes and sells them)