1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making calendars

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Imsdal, Dec 4, 2011.

1. I was searching for ideas for this online yesterday. The idea that sounded the best to me was for the children to do two self portraits -a small line drawing one and a larger colour one. The little ones from everyone in the class would be photocopied on a big piece of paper with a space in the middle where the colour picture for each child could be put.

2. Thank you for your ideas. I like the idea of a picture on the PC, but not all of the children would be able to do. Their mouse control is not good enough for them to draw a picture yet.

Anyone got any other ideas? Really need to make my mind up now!

3. Last year we made frames using marble rolling then added a picture of the child in their play costume, laminated and bobs your uncle, their work with their picture!

4. We have been doing a night and and day topic so this might not appeal to you but....we mixed blue/black and blue/white paint to make day and night skys and painted a large card circle (A3) divided into half with these. Then we printed stars on the dark sky and a big old sun on the day side and labelled them either "Good morning" or "Good night". We fixed this to an A3 card sheet with a split pin and attached the calendar below; the circle can be turned each morning/evening.A judicious bit of glittering has made them suitable seaonal gifts!

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

We used bright coloured A4 card folded in half to make A5 and cut out centre to make picture frame. We happened to have a load of small tissue paper squares left from something else so they collaged all around the frame with the tissue and then chose any bits such as buttons, beads, feathers, maize, sequins to decorate on top. We then stuck a photo of them in the middle.and the calendar tab on a ribbon below. They are really bright and look quite individual although all on the same theme. I tend not to put Christmas photos in a calendar as it is to last all year, but that is just a personal preference.