1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

making bread

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paintbrush, Jan 20, 2008.

1. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

anyone made bread with years 4/5 ?

2. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

anyone made bread with years 4/5 ?

3. no but have done it with year 6

4. No, but its on my to do list for term 5 with my year 5 class. Apparently its lots of fun, tasting different bread and making their own.

What do you want to know about it?

5. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

how do you make it when the lessons are only 80mins long ? can you make the dough and then let them kneed it and shape it?

6. Thats something i will need to work out before i teach it! Possibly you give them the dough ready made, possibly they make the dough and it is baked while they are doing something else, or possibly you'll have to devote a whole afternoon to it.

Just a few suggestions, like i said, its not something i've done before!

7. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

thanks , it would be good to make and eat it, done some tasting last week and they loved that, talking about flavours and textures and they all had a go at tasting the different types of bread, even the soya and linseed! going to do about hygine and h&s this week but still looking for a way to make it too.

8. I've made bread with a year 5 class.

I dedicated a day to making the bread as you had to give it plenty of time to rise etc.

But then I based the other activities throughout the day on the bread. That meant I could have small groups making bread and the others were occupied.

Mad day but the children loved it! In fact a year later and they were still talking about the day we made bread!!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Make the dough in the lesson and eat later in the day?

10. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

thanks purple kitten, cant really do it for the whole day, complicated reasons why so wont go into it , but thanks that would be the best way to do it. I posted on the DT section too and got a great reply for a quick recipie which i think i will try.

11. I've made bread with YR and Yr1 before. We wrote an ingredients list/recipe one day, mixed the ingredients/kneaded the dough in the morning of the next day, observed the effects of yeast on the dough later in the day. I took the individual loaves of bread home that afternoon and cooked them and we tasted them and made a pictogram of our preferences for toppings the next day. I incorporated it into our theme Healthy Eating/Harvest and linked a lot of other learning to it e.g. Little Red Hen drama, Hygiene, Working as a team, etc.

12. estherbrace

estherbrace New commenter

i'm thinking that i could do something about bread for my reception class but i need to use ICT in some wayfor example showing them a video of wheat being harvested (incorporates the autumn theme)does anybody have any recources i could use??

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

14. Paintbrush, i often make bread rolls at home and only give the dough one rise.
    make sure you have a warm place, on a table next to a radiator. Kneading is the most important thing, kneed for 10-15 mins, rolls cook in 12 mins, job done.

15. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

We used a bread mix. Plenty of time for that. If you want to use 'ingredients' you can use Allinson's easy bake yeast it rises enough in 20/30 mins although it says 40. If you make rolls baking time is only 15 minutes and they can shape their own. No complaints about who touched it!

16. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Oops,sorry bebanjo I've just read your post.

17. If your school has camera that attches to the IWB can you do timelaps photography of your actual bread rising. We just did it this week and our computer guy only told me we had one after I had finished.
    I made one really large lot of dough with the kids, very messy, outside on trestle tables covered with a disposable plastic painters sheet. We watched this rise (one hour) while we did some other experiments. they all took turns to knead and pull and stretch etc. We watched it prove, then felt it again, smelt it, looked at he trapped co2 bubbles etc. But we didn't eat that one.
    for the bread we were actually going to eat, I asked the local bakery and they prepared a couple of kilos of white bread mix for me - five hundred grams made one loaf. I just picked up the dough and we used gloves to seperate it and we then gave that a second prove at it had already done the first one. This was then put in the staff room over for thirty minutes. We took it out brought it back to class and ate it hot. I had four bread tins, but have also made it in disposable tin foil tins. The last time I did it I made all the extra dough at home, but that meant getting up at bakers hours and I was exhausted before I even got to school.
    I felt a lot less stressed knowing that I had the back up bread ready to go in the oven and the kids could really get intot he kneading and mixing without me trying to oversee it all.
    Don't forget the butter and jam. Yum.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think you should move away from thinking of ICT in terms of internet resources. Photographs done by the chldren, recorded instructions and reactions from children, videos of children kneading and measuring etc... perhaps you should be thinking more along these lines.
    Of course, it makes sense for you to google up a simple, step-by-step illustrated bread recipe, print it out and laminate it.

19. Try making the bread in a bread-maker early in the morning, then children can try it afternoon as it takes approx 3hrs. In my P6 class the teacher and myself both brought in bread-makers. He used his bread-maker and recipe supplied from book with his group and my group used mine and a packet of ready mix. Lets children see difference in the making of the bread.

20. Hi, I made a wiki http://from-wheat-to-bread.wikispaces.com/ when I was teaching this age group. It is based on the story of The Little Red Hen. Many of the pictures in the wiki contain links to video clips, including one of wheat being harvested. I have just checked the links and they all still work. It also contains a recipe for bread which works well in a bread maker. Hope this helps.