1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making best use of social media in a professional environment

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, May 12, 2011.

1. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Sorry about all the coding! Cut and paste does not seem to be too effective so I will re-write the comment.
    Social media is a powerful tool, communicating knowledge and sharing ideas. Are we in danger of loosing some of the benefits of this resource in a proffesional environment (like TES Connect) by using it in the same way that we would socially? Does agreeing with a post or adding unsupportive comments add to a forum or just make it more difficult to find relevant information?

2. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Do head teachers see social media as a useful way to access information or just a place to blow off steam?

3. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

If one post takes 5 minutes to complete, 1000 posts would be over 2 weeks work (40hrs each week)

Some participants post on average 3,000 or 4,000 times per year, but are they making best use of their time?

Are they sharing their knowledge with the wider community, or looking to increase their wisdom by asking taxing questions targeting the highly educated or just clogging forums with school yard trivia??

I do hope they are using the forum to the BENEFIT of ALL!

4. Hmm, interesting thread. A few thoughts - My average contribution takes me less than a minute. How do you judge the quality of how someone chooses to spend their own time?! How do you decide if someone is using a discussion forum to the "BENEFIT of ALL" rather than, perhaps, just pushing their own agenda and/or website?

5. Argh! I didn't mean to rate this thread 4 out of 5 stars, I was curious to find out who had decided to rate it originally as there only seemed to be one contributor.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

A valid pOint Brookes. The last time I checked I was still allowed to spend my free time as I choose, so if I spend it posting what some regard as "trivia" in here that's my business and no one else's. If people don't like it they have 2 options- tell me so ( and I'll no doubt take absolutely no notice whatsoever) or not read it.
    Fwiw I have supported several colleagues on this website, via pms and emails and I know others have too. I've received advice and support from more experienced colleagues and made good friends on here too.

7. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

I do agree with most of what you both say. My previous post was written to provoke a reaction and at last others have joined the debate.

I think we often use social media without considering the many opportunities and indeed the pit fall that are presented.A report last week from Ofcom highlighted the smart phone connection to the subject and highlighted some of the possible dangers. http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/08/a-nation-addicted-to-smartphones/

Social media is a fantastic tool, but my view is that we must use it on our own terms and not be swept along with the tidal wave of unconditional inclusion. Actions and reactions should always be carefully considered and an idea of what you are trying to achieve should be the basic starting point. It has been rightly pointed out that individuals can use social media as they please, but if others can gain from contributions, it can only enhance the experience.

Thanks both for you contribution

8. Social media are resources - like all resources they can be used sensibly, or not. Undertaking some very very careful due diligence is essential if you are not to fall foul of unintended consequences. Caveat emptor!

9. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Social media is indeed a massive resource and will ultimately become an essential tool to many individuals and organisations, for some it already is.

Many who use social media and withhold or disguise their identity may feel protected by their anonymity enabling a greater freedom of speech, but a danger arises if they loose their own sense of accountability. The question that should always be asked is 'if someone knew it was me that had posted it, would I still do it' If the answer is no, then the information should simply not be posted. Once posted, forever on the www

How many do think carefully before they post?