1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making a SoW - topic order

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by milpin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I have never ever had/made a SoW that follows the book as in start with Unit 1 and then Unit 2, and so on.
    My new school does just this, follow the book. There must be a reason for it, grammar being built up with the Chapters, vocab, etc.

Saying this, is it really important the order in which we cover the material?
    What does your SoW looks like? What are in your headings for each column? What needs to be there and what can be left out?

Thank you all, M [​IMG]

2. We completely changed our SoW from book order to project-based as we found that the order of the units in Metro often didn't really make sense. We have included time scales, book/online resource references, grammar points, key vocabulary, differentiation for SEN and G&T, use of ICT and authentic materials available.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personalyl I have an aversion to 'just working thro' a textbook' chap. by chap.
    Many years ago I did a SoW in columns
    1 Topic/Theme (incl vocab. needed) 2 Grammatical structures necessary
    3 Possible outcomes 4 Resources (textbook pages, worksheets, flashcards suggestions etc)
    Sometimes grammar needs to be taught in a particular order but often, with a bit of tweaking one can work round this. I recently planned a Primary SoW for a local school which needed it to fit in with their topic approach with a similar approach.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't see what's wrong with working through a textbook from start to finish. After all, the editors of the textbook have thought it through, start somewhere and finish somewhere else. In theory anyway! And if not, you need a better textbook (I've just got rid of Avantage, a truly horrible coursebook!).
    In practice, I often don't cover every single page and exercise, and I dip into other textbooks. Sometimes I skip an entire unit. A lot of the time I integrate grammar from different units, etc. But for most year groups I start at the start and end at the end. [​IMG]

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I really like Echo for GCSE. I've dipped into Echo for KS3 and that looks good too. What makes them even more attractive is that the publishers provide a scheme of work with them! Always great to have a starting point - teachers can tweak scheme of work as they like and can add different resources. I've expanded some parts of textbook to build speaking/writing confidence for controlled assessments.
    See link for GCSE schemes of work: http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Secondary/GlobalPages/MFLGCSESchemesofWork/MFLGCSESchemesofWork.aspx
    The AQA version of the scheme of work for Echo is still needed, but publishers provide these schemes of work for free, so they could also be used to generate ideas even if you choose not to buy course.
    KS3 Echo schemes of work and other freebies:
    http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Secondary/Scotland/German/EchoForKeyStage3/FreeResources/FreeResources.aspx
    My advice: check out what the various publishers offers on their websites.

6. One thing I particularly appreciate about a SOW based on a textbook is the easy access to appropriate listening material on each topic (chapter).
    Tricolore (for all its faults) is really good at providing lots of listening material with a wide variety of activities to go with the listening material. It is also designed progressively such that future items of grammar start occurring in listenings before you tackle the grammar point per se. It is difficult (impossible?) to pre-empt grammar points in this way if you don't have the well-planned support of a textbook like Tricolore.
    I also like the way pupils in Year 7 on Tricolore Book 1 are faced with pretty fluent, fast French right from the very beginning, but the tasks are designed to be accessible.