1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making a big Anderson shelter?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lightbulb100, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Hi-after Xmas I need to change my role play area to a WW2 one and want to create a fairly big Anderson Shelter. I keep thinking of corrugated cardboard but aside from that I haven't a clue how to construct a decent, stursy one. Any ideas from people who may have already done it?

Any pointers much appreciated!

Cheers

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not done one but as the shape is a dome can you not make some canes bend to the shape and cover withe the corragated paper? You would need to tei in the can ends to abasic frame but shouldnt be to hard.
    Or a cheep dome tent covered in corrogated paper to act as a former....
    not sure how you wil fint in the beds though lol

3. Hi i have on in my room at the moment. It fits 2 children in at a time so is fairly big (they are Y6!) and has all the ww2 non fiction books in for silent reading ..
    I made it with the children by making a frame out of strong cardboard tubes- Made ends out of big bits of board and covered whole thing in heavy duty corrugated card that i got off ebay. I also purchased some sandbags from there too which we filed with newspaper.
    The kids have also made a model veg patch out off paper and card and we have printed off some ww2 posters eg "dig for victory" and put them on the door and a union jack flies from the top. Its fairly sturdy has been up for about 4 weeks and has survived an Ofsted inspection and several indoor playtimes
    If you want can send you a picture!
    Good Luck

4. Wow-that sounds great! If you could email me a photo, I'd be grateful. My email address is jamiekelly2001@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

5. Hi there! Your anderson shelter sounds fabby! Im thinking of doing the same thing with my class. Is there any chance you could possible email me a photograph too?

f.pollard.07@aberdeen.ac.uk
    I would be very greatful
    Thanks in anticipation!
    Fiona

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

carpet stores and fabric market stalls are a good souce of long, stiff cardboard tubes.

7. That sounds awesome. Could you please send me a picture? Thanks

adamthurgood242@msn.com

8. Hello! I would greatly appreciate your picture too please if you don't mind! (if you still have it!)
    Sounds great though will love to try it out.
    My email is...

rebecca.mcgowan@strath.ac.uk

Thank you!