1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making a Betty

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I just did a search and don't think I have posted this before.
    You other Nigel S readers should try this if you haven't already, for those of you who don't...
    Nigel’s Blackberry and Apple Betty

Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C.
    Cut
    the apples into large chunks, put them into a saucepan with the butter
    and a couple of tbsp of water and toss them over a moderate heat. When
    the apples start to soften but are still keeping their shape, tip in the
    blackberries and then spoon into the baking dish.

Mix
    the crumbs and sugar together and cover the apples and blackberries
    loosely with the mixture. Melt the butter with the syrup in a small
    saucepan, then pour the mixture over the crumbs, making certain to soak
    them all.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 mins, till the apple is soft and the crumbs are golden and crisp.Don't be scared by the amounts of sugar, his recipes aren't verysweet. We usually haveto reduce sugar by about 30 - 50%, but not Mr Slater's.
    Best made in a deep dish or the syrup escapes. It is the best alternative to crumble ever.... treacle tart and fruit, yummy.
    I will be rummaging in the freezer for the last of the hedgerow fruits tomorrow. It is lovely with Damsons and I may have some blackberries, raspberries left - I know there are some gooseberries, but I am still pondering them (there arenlt that many). I may just make a gooseberry sauce to go with a sponge.
    Any other ideas gratefully recieved.

2. I adore Nigel Slater. Possibly my favourite cook of all. I always think he is the culinary equivalent of sitting by the fire with a mug of hot chocolate plus a slug of brandy.
    I fancy cooking a pudding today and this fits the bill.I still have lots of hedgerow fruits in the freezer.....I might make it with wild plums, although that has to be eaten with a degree of caution as I can't be bothered stoning them as they're too small.
    Thanks for posting that pobble.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I saved this recipe from here a while ago:
    Chocolate Apple Betty
    Serves 4, with cream or vanilla ice-cream · 1kg Bramley apples, peeled and cored · 30g butter
    For the crumb layer: · 125g soft white breadcrumbs · 100g light soft brown sugar · 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped · 75g butter, melted · 3 heaped tablespoons golden syrup
    Cut the apples into large chunks, put them in a pan and toss with the butter and a couple of tablespoons of water over a moderate heat. When the apples start to soften but are still keeping their shape, tip them into a 1.5 litre baking dish. Mix the crumbs, sugar and chocolate and cover the apples loosely with the mixture. Melt the butter with the golden syrup in a small saucepan, then pour it over the crumbs, making certain to soak them all. Bake in an oven preheated to 190°C/Gas 5 for thirty-five minutes, till the apple is soft and the crumbs are golden and crisp.
    I have a feeling it was Nigel Slater but I couldn't guarantee that. Roll on next year when I have apples and am not on a diet!

4. That reads just like a Nigel!!
    And my diet starts tomorrow (really!) so betty tonight, stone spitting a must as I don't stone damsons either [​IMG]

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Can't help it, everytime I see the title of this thread Black Betty by The Ramjams pops into my head!!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter