1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Make Up for School

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I start my PGCE in September but I look really young and so was thinking of tryin out differnt make up techniques etc to try and look a bit more grown up and less like a six former. Was just hoping someone else may have this problem and could give me some tips.

2. shelby_brum

shelby_brum New commenter

I've just finished my PGCE and I look quite young too, but don't think changing your makeup will help as you will never slap on more than most sixth formers do!
    The way I have done it (and I teach 14-19) is by dressing smartly so I won't be mistaken for sixth formers who are always casual, and make sure you are confident walking around the school and you will soon be recongised as a teacher.
    Hope that helps

3. Use a very light foundation, neutral eyeshadow and lipstick and switch to brown mascara instead of black if you're fair. You want to look polished and natural.

4. Get your self a comfy pair of high heels. Nothing says, 'teacher' like the confident clip clop of heels in the corridor.

5. I'm not quite 5'2" and look pretty young and to top it all i'm finishing my PGSE as a dance teacher, so can't always crack out the heels, and spend all day in sports gear. I would agree with walking tall as if you belong - shoulders back head up and the occasional reminder to students about uniform/waiting outside classroom/ hello to members of your form all helps remind students that you are a teacher - no matter how young you look!!

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I once witnessed a colleague who is no more that 4'11 tear a strip off a year 11 boy who towered over her at 6'4+. She was wearing a fairy wings and a halo at the time (World Book Day, she was Tinkerbell) and sporting a wand in one hand. The year 11 boy looked suitably 'told' and lumbered off with his head down mumbling an apology.
    Looking young won't make a difference if you talk the talk and make yourself heard.

7. Excellent.