1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Make time for important little things

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Feb 7, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I was running late one day last week, when a nearby neighbour spotted me and stopped for a chat.
    I could have excused myself and rushed off, but I hadn't seen her for a while and so stopped to ask how things were with her. We chatted for some time and parted with smiles.

Have just heard she died in her sleep Sunday night.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Awww, well I'm glad you stopped to speak and I hope it brightened her day.
    There was an old man who lived on our last street and he stood at the end every day watching cars go by, I always used to wave and often wonder/hope if hes still there and well. x

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes,it would have been awful if the last time I saw her I was rushing away.
    It was strange that she made a point of stopping me - we often pass each other with a quick 'good morning'. So glad I didn't worry about being late.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When I was a second year undergraduate I went home one weekend - my dad took my partially-sighted Grandad for his weekly shopping trip to the supermarket, and I asked if I could tag along. I helped him to fill his trolley with the stuff he had difficulty finding on the shelves, and at the end of it he slipped me a pound and said "Thanks for that - go and buy yourself a pint mate". With that gesture he'd acknowledged me as a fellow adult, as opposed to just his grandson. I went back to Poly, and a few weeks later heard that he'd died in his sleep. The supermarket trip had turned out to be the last time I'd spent with him, and I've always been glad that I made the effort.