1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Make a little more room at the foot of @Middlemarch's stairs...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by GLsghost, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm on a mission to collect Avios so that I don't have to do any more long-haul night flights in cattle class ever again.

If that falls through for any reason, however, I will be forever grateful to have learned @Middlemarch that I have not collected them in vain...

[​IMG]

Middlemarch likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

If my friend reads this post and recognises herself, she'll kill me - but it's too good an anecdote not to repeat and will find some resonance here.

My friend is a very respected Headteacher somewhere and has been for several decades.

After one particularly challenging training event, she and the Director of Education for her 'area' both found themselves in A&E having their stomachs pumped.

The story goes that the A&E staff were aghast and said to her: "My God...who did this to you?"

"Kenneth Baker!" she replied.

I swear it's true! :D

hhhh and Middlemarch like this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I remember the 'Baker days' term. Showing my age.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It was never used in any of the (6) secondary schools in which I worked, for which I was extremely grateful as I still hold K. Baker responsible for the appalling mess in which we find education today.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I thought you'd all like to know that I've just made a hee-yuuuuge gin and tonic. I'm not personally at the foot of our stairs, but (for no apparent reason) the dog is.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The dog has just been walked so I will join you in one or two.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Mine's already poured, ready for The Archers. :)