1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Make a little more room at the foot of @Middlemarch's stairs...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by GLsghost, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It's going to have to be a very big bottom step. The whole idea is just plain stupid and belittles the role of Headteachers.

Where it going to end? Doctors qualifying after 6 months. Pilots flying after 3 months.

3. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

You don't need headteachers anyway when you've got CEOs of MATs making the decisions...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

My anecdote is worth repeating, of the ex-Head I know who was fast-tracked into NPQH and secondary Headship in a challenging school, at a young age.

He went through two Ofsteds before an academy chain took over, he lost his job and an Executive Head was drafted in. The Executive Head peed off staff so much that he didn't last long either, though parents liked him for his uncompromising approach - apparently.

The young ex-Head is back being an 'ordinary' classroom Technology teacher. I can't imagine what his experiences did for his confidence. I know him to be an exceptionally good teacher and have no doubt that he has the qualities to be a good leader. I think he was still in his thirties when the rug was pulled from beneath him. I hope that, in the remaining 25 years or so of his teaching career, he gets another chance at Headship.

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You are right Northhead, I'm glad I only have 816 days left before I retire.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There are to paragraphs in this Telegraph article that had me hooting with derisory laughter. The first was:
    "Sir Anthony, vice-chancellor at Buckingham University, told TES: “Nothing matters more than the quality of leadership – nothing.

“We can bring in better people, we can bring in more great people into the system.

“We can prepare them better so they are more compassionate, wise, accomplished, rounded leaders rather than mean, sausage-factory, league-table-obsessed people.”

Yes...people who want to be heads without becoming teachers first and learning the craft are bound to be "wise, accomplished, rounded leaders rather than mean, sausage-factory, league-table-obsessed people", aren't they? There's no gigantic irony in that comment at all, given what he and his two eminent mates are proposing - is there?

The second was:

"Parachuting non-teachers into leadership positions isn’t new. In October 2013, Annaliese Briggs, head of Pimlico Primary, quit just after a short time in the job. She had no prior teaching experience before joining from think tank Civitas."

Do you think it was on purpose that the Telegraph failed to mention that Ms Briggs lasted approximately one month into her first term before she threw i the towel?

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If governors have anything to do with it these magical people will never get past the selection panel if they have no track record to put on their CV. Neither would I trust a surgeon who had never wielded a scalpel on a live body but insisted he/she had studied anatomy using a plastic dummy and knew the theory !

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

In 2006 a fast-track system sponsored by the Government was scrapped as it was described as “the most expensive flop in the history of teacher recruitment”.

And this latest notion will be more successful because....?

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I thought you would enjoy that @Middlemarch! ;)

Think we're getting old! It must be the explanation...

Middlemarch likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

Just read back and realised I'd missed the w out of two in my first line...

12. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Well you won't pass ks1 SPAG then (if it hadn't been leaked)

My only comment on this ridiculous notion is that they will fall into 2 categories:

Lambs to the slaughter, or complete and utter b******** , like the asset stripping sharks of the business/ banking world.

How on earth will you know good teaching and pastoral care if you've never had to do it!

* shakes head slowly and sits down next to Middlemarch.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

*gets out gin

14. Middlemarch

I prefer Tesco's own sugar-free tonic, please, lots of ice and lemon slice. And don't stint on the gin.

I keep talking to friends about this "idea" and someone said at once "Right, let me see if I understand this. They can't get enough trained and experienced teachers wanting to be deputies and heads, so they've come up with the idea - to put people who cannot be bothered or don't want to become teachers and get sufficient experience to be deputies and heads - on some sort of 'course' and then stick them in the jobs. Isn't there a sort of built-in fault with such people if they don't actually want to be teachers first?"

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Tanqueray and Fevertree with ice and lime for me - on offer at Tesco at the moment. Stocked up in preparation for the finale of Line of Duty this evening.

I'm really sorry to have mentioned the "idea" @Middlemarch . I can see you are traumatised!

More gin? :D

Middlemarch likes this.
  16. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Don't mind if I do!

* opens posh nibbles and kicks off shoes

I've got to the stage where I'm so far beyond worried/ stressed/ outraged / frustrated / hysterical with this complete **** the government are making of our education system that I've sunk into a calm daze.
    I'm not doin' nuffink till someone threatens to sack me. So there!

Middlemarch and GLsghost like this.
  17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You'll do. ;) Just need to recruit more like you now.

Wasn't Line of Duty great? xx

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

URGENT. EXIT REQUIRED. seems to fit in nicely with this thread.

19. Middlemarch

Talking of gin (I'll drink any old gin me, I'm not precious about it), last year I traded in a whole load of BA 'points' that I couldn't use on flights for a shedload of high quality booze, including some bottles of Hendricks gin. Ooh, it was smashing!

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We may need extra supplies on this thread . . . what with @Ladykaza , @GLsghost and @Middlemarch already downing the previous lot . . .

[​IMG]

Best wishes