1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Makaton

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Our new task:
    Use Makaton in all the maths lessons. Teachers don't but we have to. Mad or what?

2. Our new task:
    Use Makaton in all the maths lessons. Teachers don't but we have to. Mad or what?

3. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

Why is it mad? Makaton is another aid to communication. You wouldn't have to sign every word, just key ones.

4. When I meant, mad, its not using it thats mad, its the fact the teachers don't use it but we do. Children becoming confused. Thats whats mad!

5. Totally agree - surely Makaton would be of even more benefit when the initial teaching is going on to ensure pupils understand the concepts? If the teacher isn't using Makaton and new concepts/words are being introduced, how are pupils going to make sense of them without having learned the new signs and been given them in context? Seems strange. Are the teachers trained in using Makaton & do they know the signs for maths vocabulary?

6. If you are working alongside individual pupils can you sign/use the main signs as the teacher explains them? This will only work if you have a plan of the lesson and some idea where it is going.

7. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

That's all well and good signing to the child when you are in the class with a child but what about when the child has no TA support. I was trained in makaton a long time ago way before they started using signs and symbols as I supported a child with verbal dyspraxia who communicated through signing. I used to teach the whole school in assembly a couple of new signs each week so that everyone could communicate with this child . The pupil's in his class were excellent (as they went through each class with the child) with teacher's it was hit and miss. Those that engaged with it when the child reached their class were able to communicate successfully with the child when he had no support in class. Those that chose not to engage with it could not communicate with said child so therefore basically ignored him in class. I don't think it is useful or inclusive to be selective in who uses it if there is a child that relies on this form of communication, surely teachers must use it if there is a child in class that relies on it.