1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Makaton - urgent order

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jonowen, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Our HT has said we can order resources but it has to be done very soon (so another dept doesn't get our share!!) What is the best book/resources to buy for Makaton? Our pupils have a little knowledge but we need a manual to refer to. Are there any other resources apart from books?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Joni

2. jonowen

Hi,
    Our HT has said we can order resources but it has to be done very soon (so another dept doesn't get our share!!) What is the best book/resources to buy for Makaton? Our pupils have a little knowledge but we need a manual to refer to. Are there any other resources apart from books?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Joni

3. Why not have a look at the website? www.makaton.org

4. jonowen

Did that earlier and there seemed to be so much choice - I had hoped that someone could recommend what they used and that would save me time, as I don't really know what is best.

5. Oh, right I understand. Have you got any Mr Tumble DVDs? These are really good. I can't remember all the titles off the top of my head. How about using the money for some whole school training for staff (if they need it)?

6. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

It depends how much you want to spend and how much existing knowledge staff have!
    The core vocabulary book is a good starting place - now available on CD rom which means if you want you can display signs around school and make specific topic vocabulary resources.
    If you have a bit more money and not much knowledge, the parent/carers packs are good as they contain the early stages of the core vocabulary as well as dvds and can be used for training.

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I think Speaking for Myself http://www.r-e-m.co.uk/rem/xrem.php?T=26314&view= is very good value. It's been around for ages but has been updated. Has tiny Makaton video clips of a very basic set of words, books, activities and you can print off many of the resources. You don't say what age/level the youngsters are - this would appeal to kids with DS for example from approximately 3y up depending of ability.
    You can also get a wordlist of BSL symbols to go with Widgit's Communicate:In Print. Many of these are identical to Makaton or very close. You can then print instructions with BSL on the key words (appearing just like other symbols).
    Again depending of the level there are some lovely nursery rhymes and songs which appeal to children with ASD and/or DS (and also those with normal ability but very impaired language development). www.singandsign.com
    I agree about Mr. Tumble - I bought my copies from a local BBC shop or you can order on-line from www.bbcschoolshop.com
    Good luck.

8. jonowen

Thank you !
    I will look into the price of the Parent/Carers pack, we have some Mr.Tumble and I will be using "signandsing" lots!
    Dear me, we've gone from having lots of time and few resources to lots of resources and hardly any time - thank you again for your help.

9. Are you sure you want Makaton not Signalong? Some counties use Signalong now which is very similar but cheaper!! One thing I would suggest more than one copy of anything you get, books tend to develop legs or two people want them at the same moment etc etc

10. You might also want to have a look at the 'Singing Hands' DVDs, our children love them.