1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Makaton based language group (secondary aged) - can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by spironette, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I work in a special school as a primary teacher. Every week the children from all departments are grouped for language groups according to ability/needs. This year I have been given a secondary group with the focus on Makaton signing. I have some makaton signs and am reasonably confident in signing. I'm unsure about two things...number one is how i should approach planning for this group. I've been told the priority is to increase their confidence in signing and willingness to use it, but I'm not really sure where to begin! Secondly, I'm a primary teacher and am concerned about making my lessons 'teenaged' enough for these kids, who seem lovely and very willing to engage/sign. If anyone could help me out with a few pointers or ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited about this new challenge and want to do the best I can for the kids. Thanks in advance!

2. Hello,
    I work in a special school as a primary teacher. Every week the children from all departments are grouped for language groups according to ability/needs. This year I have been given a secondary group with the focus on Makaton signing. I have some makaton signs and am reasonably confident in signing. I'm unsure about two things...number one is how i should approach planning for this group. I've been told the priority is to increase their confidence in signing and willingness to use it, but I'm not really sure where to begin! Secondly, I'm a primary teacher and am concerned about making my lessons 'teenaged' enough for these kids, who seem lovely and very willing to engage/sign. If anyone could help me out with a few pointers or ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited about this new challenge and want to do the best I can for the kids. Thanks in advance!

3. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

What sort of level is their signing at? Are they new to signing or quite experienced? Do you have any idea what Makaton stage they're at? What sort of special needs do they have? If you give me a bit more information I should have some ideas for you.
    Don't worry about being a primary teacher working with secondary aged pupils, I'm primary trained and in my secondary aged special school, a slightly more primary school type approach is exactly what my class need.

4. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

I agree with loony tunes, and more info would be really useful. I would suggest without more info perhaps signing to songs e.g. pop songs always motivating.

5. Hi spironette,
    I work with a couple of pupils whos only communication is with Makaton. Without more details of your pupils levels etc its hard to say. Basically I found that showing the signs along with different types of media appropriate to the children in question is best. Books full of colours and pictures of animals for example or songs/films etc. Also it might be age inappropriate, but the "Cebeebies" Tv program "Mr Tumble" can help a lot as he uses Makaton throughout. Plenty of episodes on You Tube etc.
    I also broke it down into groups of signs, so for example one lesson you would only work on animals for example, next time greetings/wants, next time colour and so on.
    Anyway you will be fine as its quite good fun learning them yourself and most pupils I have came across are keen to get to grips with it.
    good luck.

6. EDCMWILK1

EDCMWILK1 New commenter

Hey i work in a secondary SLD school and 90%of our teachers are primary trained so dont stress about that!! I agree with buzzybee. Songs are a great way forward and changing up the lyrics to make them specific to the class can be time consuming but great fun which depending on the needs of your students could link into them writing their own songs about various topics.
    I have just started using 'crackers marackers' a sing up resource designed for use with students with ASD. to be honest the songs can be quite blah but are a great starting place as the lyrics are so simple and would translate really well to signing. Plus they have backing tracks that you can write your own lyrics to.
    best of luck, sounds like great fun to me!