1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

makaton animal signs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pepperpig, Apr 18, 2010.

1. I was just wondering if anyone knew the makaton signs for animals. I have searched internet and can only find resources for pack i already have if anyone could send me a link to makaton animal signs i would be very appreciative. I am looking for the signs for the animals from the book dear zoo. Thanks

2. There might be a few on the something special site on cbbc or cbeebies - whatever it's called I think you could probably watch the episode about going to the zoo which would have the makatong signs in it - if that helps.

3. Not sure which animals you need, but these are the ones I know:
    pig - one hand in fist in front of nose and twist forwards and back (signifying nose)
    cow - both hands make horns from head (imagining you are holding/running your hands over the horns)
    cat - draw whiskers out from face with fingers
    dog - pointy finger and middle finger of each hand bend down in front (like putting 2 fron paws on a table in front of you)
    horse - use one hand as horse (flat, palm vertical), other hand use pointy and middle finger as rider (astrid horse) and move up and down as if horse is moving
    elephant - one arm held out from face like a trunk
    bear - I think it's like teddy bear which is like hugging yourself (hands near shoulders, arms crossing body)
    tiger/lion - I think they are both done by using hands as claws pouncing forwards, although lion might be something to do with their mane...
    monkey - hands under armpits (kind of expected!)
    birds - pointy finger and thumb making a "talking" mime
    duck - as bird, but using whole hand to make the beak
    butterfly - link thumbs and flap hands like a shadow puppet
    mouse - I'm pretty sure this is done by pointing one finger on the side of your nose and twisting
    ant - walking fingers up arm
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head - let me know of other animals you want and I'll have a think :)
    giggle. xx

4. giraffe - cup front of neck with one hand and move upwards, carrying on in fron tof face (indicating a long neck!!!)
    chicken - might be miming chicken wings (as you'd expect)
    snake - one hand making slitthering motion
    fish - same as snake (for live animal - different sign for fish you eat)
    rabbit - mime bunny ears
    spider - two hands together to make spider with fingers being legs
    No idea about penguin or seal. Or hippo. Or rhino (although I imagine it involves the horn).
    giggle. xx

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

6. Thanks very much to all of you for your help sorry took me so long to reply my computers not been working.

7. Wow thanks for that you got the animals I need just need to practice! Thanks