1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Major concern

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by dantheram, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I am due to start a PGCE in Business Education but i'm not sure about the future of Business in the cirriculum.
    I feel like i will be left with a qualification to teach a topic which is simply not demanded in the future, can someone please share some advice here?

Many thanks,
    Dan

2. Hi Dan

Congratulations on being offered a place on the PGCE. This is a popular
    subject and you must have been an excellent candidate.

Places available on PGCE courses are designed
    to reflect the anticipated number of employment opportunities for the subject
    concerned. We endeavour not to train more people than the expected number of
    available teaching posts. You will also find that more teaching vacancies are
    available if you can be flexible about the location that you would prefer to
    work.

When you have achieved qualified teacher status and your PGCE, you will
    have gained a status and qualification which effectively qualifies you to teach
    any subject and any level should you have the necessary knowledge and aptitude.

Although we are not aware of any imminent changes, it is always good to
    be as flexible as possible when you are qualified and in post. If your degree
    held maths or ICT, you may like to consider teaching those as additional
    subjects. Alternatively, you could take part in continuing professional
    development to improve subject knowledge in any subject areas of interest to
    you.

I hope you enjoy your course and wish you a successful teaching career.

Stephen Hillier